The Jazzmaster...I think I finally get it...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:59 am

The Japanese reissues are a lot cheaper and all you have to do is order the vintage Fender pickups for it, change the pots to original style and you are in the game for about $900 less than a USA reissue. My friend did it with a Jaguar and that thing sounds amazing. I have always wanted a Jazzmaster as well and a Telecaster Deluxe and.......................
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:02 am

"CIJ" as opposed to "MIJ" Fenders are my favorites of any recent Fender guitars; I actually end up liking more of them than I do MIA ones. Cheaper, too!

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:17 am

I have been thinking about trying to get one of the jap ones - but I didn't think they were that cheap...

How does one go about acquiring one of these?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:45 am

my band mate used to play a jazzmaster and he didnt like it cause it didn't stay in tune..(i always thought it was rad)..he played pretty hard though..the last time he used it he was hitting cymbals with the headstock at a show and the whole thing elxploded in front of all the socialites and budding thesbians..right into toothpicks..needless to say they loved it..

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:04 am

rolandk wrote:I love the Kurt Cobain rant about the Jag, forgot exactly how it went but it ended with "Whoever invented that guitar is a dork" right about the time Leo Fender died.
Then later he says "I called Leo Fender, the dead guy, a dork. Now I'll never get an endorsement". Classic.
And they made the "Jag-Stang" to cash in on Cobain when he joined Leo. Gotta love marketing folks :wink:

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am

kingnimrod wrote:I have been thinking about trying to get one of the jap ones - but I didn't think they were that cheap...

they float around used quite a bit (bought one on ebay, a couple more through stores) and canalso be purchased directly from Japan - there's an ebay seller caled bluzey (or something similar) who specializes in Japanese Fenders, as well as the Ishibashi online store.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:19 pm

kingnimrod wrote:I have been thinking about trying to get one of the jap ones - but I didn't think they were that cheap...

These guys have a used MIJ red one for about $950 CDN. www.paulsboutique.ca
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

dumbangel
pushin' record

Post by dumbangel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:08 pm

I play a '65 Jazzmaster (everything original).

I agree with Roger, the humbucker position is the beauty of that guitar.

But I actually love the often overlooked upper "rhythm" circuit. It's a beautiful soft and warm tone that's more reminiscent of Gibson-like jazz guitars than twangy Fenders. That makes the jazzmaster a more versatile instrument than the other historical Fender guitars.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

I think Jazzmasters (and Jaguars) might be the most beautiful solid body electrics I've ever seen, to this day. I have an early 60s Jazzmaster (doesn't have its original neck, but one taken from a 90s reissue, I think, so it's not some posh all-stock original), and it's definitely the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Something about the contour of the body fits with me perfectly. It just feels totally right. They sound awesome too, more versatile than one would think.

I don't really play mine so much anymore, but I've had it since my mid-teens and whenever I do pick it up, I wonder why the hell I don't play it as often. Definitely a classy, great sounding guitar, and my favorite guitar that Fender made.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:22 am

I love Jazzmasters. There were a couple things I thought could be improved upon, so I bought a body, neck, and parts from Warmoth guitars - high quality, American made. I put a traditional tremelo with a low-profile bridge in there, higher-output Seymour-Duncan Jazz pickups, one tone one volume, no sliders, locking tuners, and a pickup selector in the location of my choice on the guitar body. The cool part was picking out you neck: type of fretboard, size/shape of frets, radius of fretboard (I went with compound).

All in all, I spent the same as I would've buying a brand new American Jazz, but I got modern trimmings, customized to my liking. Way more versatile than my beloved Les Paul. I have a hard time not going to this guitar when writing, performing and recording.

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 am

Rolsen wrote:I love Jazzmasters. There were a couple things I thought could be improved upon, so I bought a body, neck, and parts from Warmoth guitars - high quality, American made. I put a traditional tremelo with a low-profile bridge in there, higher-output Seymour-Duncan Jazz pickups, one tone one volume, no sliders, locking tuners, and a pickup selector in the location of my choice on the guitar body. The cool part was picking out you neck: type of fretboard, size/shape of frets, radius of fretboard (I went with compound).

All in all, I spent the same as I would've buying a brand new American Jazz, but I got modern trimmings, customized to my liking. Way more versatile than my beloved Les Paul. I have a hard time not going to this guitar when writing, performing and recording.
Sounds great! Picture?

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:11 pm

I called Leo Fender, the dead guy, a dork.
Yeah, well Kurt is a dead guy too.
0x

JNewton
audio school

Post by JNewton » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:31 pm

I like the Jazzmaster far better than the Jaguar. The scale makes a huge difference. Jags seem a bit plinky in comparison.

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:31 am

My '64 Jazzmaster plays and sounds really well and I should definetely play it more often.
I have this guitar geek friend of mine who keeps telling me that I should replace the bridge to get rid of the "old Jazzmaster problem".
He says it could have more sustain and I could get rid of the"banjo tones" and turn the guitar into a useful instrument.
"More sustain" always reminds me of Spinal Tap.
The guitar is almost 42 years old so I won't replace anything on it but what kind of bridge is he talking about?
Edit: I just googled around a bit and found Mustang replacement mod suggestions.
Has anybody done that?
I have a '90s Japanese Jaguar that could get modified.