distressor or LA2A style comp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 am

it's funny that i just repiied to the 1176 vs. LA2A post and said how much i was enjoying beating the hell out of the drum room sound with my ADL's. to each his own for sure. it does distort, in that nifty 'pinkerton' sort of way, but i'll probably hate it next month anyway.

i truly love the ADL's , they are silly reliable and well built with a great sound that works on a ton of stuff.

Distressors, hell yes, best comp of the past ten years probably, get the brit mod for sure and that thing is dead on versatile for anything. if it's your first good comp you will NOT be let down there on any source.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:43 pm

haha i saw that man. hilarious. i WILL say it's fantastic on overheads (if you're into that kind of thing, like i am), and does really cool stuff to the top end of your signal when you're hitting it relatively hard.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 pm

The distressor is nice for shaping transients but its not what I would call a "wow" compressor or a character piece.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:41 pm

dokushoka wrote:The distressor is nice for shaping transients but its not what I would call a "wow" compressor or a character piece.
Opinions are opinions, but I completely disagree. Although you can't really compare an LA-2A to a Distressor except that the Distressor does a hell of a lot more, once you learn how to use the Distressor's many knobs in different situations, you feel really bummed if you didn't have one. It has tape distorion emulation as well, is faster than any LA-2A, and the option of using or not using British mode throws more variations into your tool box. Clearly the best compressor to have been released in the last decade.

axissound
pluggin' in mics

Post by axissound » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 am

I agree with several of the posts above. I own 2 Distressors, but have also owned an ADL 1000 since '95. It sounds amazing on most things, except on stuff that requires a fast attack. Certain percussive things with fast transients, like poorly played high notes on bass, will poke through even more on the ADL. The Distressors are unbelievably flexible, and can be transparent or super obviously crushed. All my clients freak out over British Mode on vocals. The Opto mode on the Distressors sounds really cool, but to my ear, not at all like the ADL. If I had to pick only one, it would be the Distressor, hands down. Ultra-flexibility wins. - Steve

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:19 pm

you feel really bummed if you didn't have one.
No, not really. :wink:

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Lucky...

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:20 am

damn...

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:09 am

I just sold my Distressor cause I couldn't afford to keep it any more. that was a real hard decision to make cause i actually would rather have 2 of them than none! But, I will end up with money to buy a new computer later this year, which in this day and age of audio is more versatile than one Distressor.