DIY Reamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:03 pm

anyone want to post a board layout to the NY dave one or are you all going point to point with this?
remember when it was dangerous?

check out pics of the new welfareline studios
www.myspace.com/thewelfarelinestudio

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Point to point is the best way to go. It's so simple a circuit that a board would only make it more difficult.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

ampguy
buyin' a studio

any comparisons?

Post by ampguy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:47 am

I'm considering building the one in rec. magazine, but not quite as-is, I plan to integrate into a line out box with amp/instr/line jacks already and a pot for variable line out level.

no built-in load, just a 1/4" jack for either a speaker or hot-plate for quiet load.

Am wondering if anyone's done side by side comparisons with the reamp.com box, jenson designs, radial, NY Dave's, or the Recording mag project

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:10 am

For an "interesting read" about the original Reamp design, go here:

http://www.pat2pdf.org/

and punch in 6005950 for the patent number for the Reamp unit.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:41 pm

dumb question: what do i connect the ground to in dave's schematic? i finally decided to tackle this project when i found this on edcor's webpage. add two pots, some jacks, and some spraypaint, and you're done!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:13 am

what do i connect the ground to in dave's schematic?

I've always used one of the mounting screws for the transformer as a ground lug for the NYDave design. I've built a number of those boxes over the past few years for myself and others and they've always worked well...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

ampguy
buyin' a studio

interesting

Post by ampguy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:32 am

I wonder if this box could also be used as the basis for the next project in that magazine, modifying the sm57/pre impedances ?
effector wrote:dumb question: what do i connect the ground to in dave's schematic? i finally decided to tackle this project when i found this on edcor's webpage. add two pots, some jacks, and some spraypaint, and you're done!

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:45 pm

I got the parts to make Newyorkdave's design, but the link at the top of this thread seems to be down. does anyone else have the schematic? i thought i'd saved it when i first saw it, but i'm beginning to think it was on my now-kaput ibook.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 pm

crow,
I've got it. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. :wink:

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:42 am

gracias. i'm a-gonna wire it up tomorrow. i'll post with results. happy new year!

spacelabstudio
takin' a dinner break

Post by spacelabstudio » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:28 am

On the input side of the transformer, is the center tap attached to ground? Is it just left hanging?

chris

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:44 pm

earth tones wrote:Damn. It would seem illogical to not build at least one of these, due to the mere simplicity. ....and I just sent payment for a Reamp. I guess I will have a good reference for comparison of the DIY version. Thanks for the links.
You definitely need to post your outcome after you do this!
off somewhere listening.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 pm

spacelabstudio wrote:On the input side of the transformer, is the center tap attached to ground? Is it just left hanging?

chris
No center tap connection on the NYDave design...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

gitgrinder69
audio school graduate

Post by gitgrinder69 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:16 pm

I have a few questions about Jensen schematic (I know it's really simple, but I'm new at this). First, is that a 51 ohm resistor before the capacitor on the ground leg? What's it for? Second, where do I find a 10nF electrolytic capacitor? Unless I am mistaken, 10 nF = .01 uF, right? The lowest I can find in the digikey catalog is .1 uF. I have a feeling the cap is a safety precaution, allowing discharge if needed when the ground is lifted, is this correct? Finally, what are some things to look for when buying the pots? Anything I should avoid like the plague when I'm building a device such as this?

Gabriel

danmohr
audio school graduate

Post by danmohr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:25 pm

gitgrinder69 wrote:I have a few questions about Jensen schematic (I know it's really simple, but I'm new at this). First, is that a 51 ohm resistor before the capacitor on the ground leg? What's it for? Second, where do I find a 10nF electrolytic capacitor? Unless I am mistaken, 10 nF = .01 uF, right? The lowest I can find in the digikey catalog is .1 uF. I have a feeling the cap is a safety precaution, allowing discharge if needed when the ground is lifted, is this correct? Finally, what are some things to look for when buying the pots? Anything I should avoid like the plague when I'm building a device such as this?

Gabriel
You shouldn't need an electrolytic - any type of cap will do if the voltage rating is correct. This schematic has a similar RC network in parallel with the ground lift switch and gives more details on the components:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as066.pdf

From some other DI website:
This RC network ensures that the ground in the unit is always isolated from the main system ground (eliminating ground loops) but is not truly floating i.e. has an electrical link between unit and system ground.
In this way any RF interference is therefore shunted directly to system ground through the capacitor and is prevented from entering the Audio Chain any further. This means that your system is unlikely to become an unwanted broadband AM radio tuned to a station that only your grandparents would listen to.
Dan