Possibly purchasing a Macbook

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm

we actually bought one a few months ago (17" macbook pro 2.16gHz + 2GB ram), ostensibly so my wife could use it to write a book while travelling, but (of course) i've had my eyes on it for future musical purposes (as soon as i can pry it away from her!). it's always the case that there will be a new operating system/hardware upgrade that comes far too soon after making the purchase of any computer, but such is life. i was actually a bit trepidatious about it- i've always adhered to the idea of never buying a first-release, but having said that, we've been extremely happy with it so far (my main concern initially was that it seemed to run a fair bit warmer than any other laptop i've used, but i guess that's the price you pay for *quiet*, and i have to say, this thing is dead quiet!). anyway, as soon as i get my hands on reason 2.5, i'll be checking in again...hopefully i'll feel as good about the machine in 6 months as i do right now. oh, and fwiw we got it with the matte 17" screen. the glossy one doesn't make sense to me on a portable computer, even though image depth/intensity is supposed to be higher- doesn't matter if the screen is obscured by glare!

youngjim
pluggin' in mics

Re: On Laptops

Post by youngjim » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:58 pm

maxadocious wrote:Well, I got the Powerbook G4 2 years ago and a Firepod. I upped the RAM off the bat because my plan was to record with it. It did well, BUT I could hear that it was working really hard, the little fan blowing really hard. Sometimes, there would be some latency which is weird considering that it's a firewire connections, recording with no digital effects and everything into Cubase LE... My hard-drive "failed" 9 months after buying it (luckily still under warranty).

My point is... that I am not a believer in the hard-drives on Apple Laptops. [\quote]
i don't think it's wise to record on any laptop harddrive, they're much slower than any full-size hard drive. i just pick-up a bus-powered 30gig for portable recording and it makes everything snappy.

max cooper
audio school graduate

Post by max cooper » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Do you really need a portable computer? You can get the same power for a lot less money with a 'desktop' cpu.

I bought a Mac Book Pro when they first came out because I needed it for work.

My dual 2 Gig G5 runs circles around it, and it's getting long in the tooth, I think.