Gear you miss: stuff that you shouldn't have sold

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:47 am

1963 Gibson Skylark. I "upgraded" to a '64 Epiphone Pathfinder, but it didn't turn out to be any better than the Skylark. It's no worse, though, just larger. And cooler looking I suppose. It has great (but noisy) reverb, but the trem is not as good as the Skylark.

I have bought and sold the Boss Dimension C pedal twice. And now I miss it again. But I don't really want it back--what I want is a software version, so I can easily put it on stuff besides guitar.

Yeah, i know about the Roland Dim D plugin, but I use a laptop and can't rock the UAD. :(

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 am

oh, that reminds me: Gibson Falcon. something was wrong with it and it
was super quiet but the reverb on that thing was amazing. I have some
recordings with it and I can't get that sound anymore. Wish I would've kept it
for re-amping possibilities.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:20 am

The Epi Pathfinder and the Gibson Falcon are the same amp! Though there are like 6 different circuits. I have the one with the tube reverb...it really is terrific...

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:35 am

inverseroom wrote:The Epi Pathfinder and the Gibson Falcon are the same amp! Though there are like 6 different circuits. I have the one with the tube reverb...it really is terrific...
cool! I'll have to look for one of those just for the reverb. thanks!
wanna sell yours? :)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:44 am

No, I sure as hell don't!!!

I gotta warn you though, the reverb really is noisy. I had some amp-modding techs look at it, and they told me it was inherent to the circuit design. Boy it's lush though.

kweis7
gettin' sounds

Post subject: Re: Gear you miss: stuff that you shouldn't

Post by kweis7 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:25 am

I'm never selling a decent to good guitar again! Never gonna do it , always later regret it.

Gibson Howard Roberts (not the fusion, the larger bodied round-holed one) - ARRRGGGHHH!!!! I feel ill when I see one.

70's Ibanez 175 knock off - SO STOOOOOPID!!!!

(My present L4 sounds better than either by a good bit but I miss both those guitars...)

Alvarez-Yari Classical - much darker sound than my present Takamine Cp132s and a great compliment to it, stupid thing to sell.

I don't play my Les Paul much but I ain't gonna sell it, no way.

also

custom made ludwig 18" kick - also a very stupid thing to sell.
you know less than you think you know, I know I do

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:28 am

Maestro Phase Shifter....I loved that phaser!

I did make good profit when I sold it though.

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Post by modernkicks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:35 am

I sure was really young and dumb...

'68 Bandmaster Reverb Head (Pawned for $50 - In pristine condition.) I promised myself after not getting this back that I would never be that broke again.

'68 Bandmaster Reverb Big Ass 2x12 Cab - That thing was just cool to look at!

TWO Fender MIJ Jazzmasters - I bought one in '95 and sold it in '98, only because I went from playing shoegazer stuff to playing Cramps-ish stuff and figured I needed a "junkier" guitar. So I did a straight up trade for some old univox piece of poop. Yes, I was on drugs (and 17 years old.) I bought the second one in 2003, but I had some money situations hit me all at once.

60's Tiesco Del Ray - My then girlfriend, who happened to play guitar, picked this up from a pawn shop for $20 just because it looked weird. I made her give it to me (just because it looked weird - and James Iha had one.) Then one day, me and my younger brother found it in our parents' storage facility and broke it, because we thought it was worth about $5, and it played like shit. Turns out we were wrong about it's value.

'67 Mustang - After years of "hints", I figured it was finally time to get my now-wife an engagement ring. This really just helped me pay off the last $500, though. But I still wish I had it...it played like a dream!

Tons of effect pedals - some were vintage EH oddballs. One was an old BOSS analog delay (the reddish, maroonish, pinkish one.) I think I sold it for $20. Last time I checked, it was pretty hard to find one for less than $200!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:42 am

modernkicks wrote:'67 Mustang - After years of "hints", I figured it was finally time to get my now-wife an engagement ring. This really just helped me pay off the last $500, though. But I still wish I had it...it played like a dream!
I sold my '64 Mustang back in 1996 and regretted it for years afterward. Then I bumped into a friend at a wedding and he said, "Hey, you want that mustang back?" I'd forgotten it was him I sold it to!!! He gave it to me for the price I sold it to him--$200. I then replaced the PU's and pickguard (it had been hacked up and DiMarzio metal shit put in it) and got a new headstock decal from Fender.

Great neck on that thing.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:07 am

About 10 years ago, I was particularly short on cash and sold off my Moog Opus 3 and Moog Rogue. I really miss the Rogue in particular--it was my first synth. :-(

What bugs me most is that I don't "need" a Rogue now, so I'm not going to buy another one. But, if I still had mine, I'd probably use it all the time.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:19 am

In 1982 I bought a Bassman Blonde for $150 and used it for bass. (The store I got it from was selling the blackface ones for $225) I sold it in 1986 for $170 to get a Peavey TNT130. It was an improvement in terms of volume, but that's it.

I sold a Tascam M106 mixer to buy Deck recording software for my Mac. The mixer was kind of noisy and sort of useless, except for the incredible direct bass sound it gave. I wish I still had it. All the ones I see used are trashed beyond usefulness.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:46 am

eric Metronome wrote:oh, that reminds me: Gibson Falcon. something was wrong with it and it
was super quiet but the reverb on that thing was amazing. I have some
recordings with it and I can't get that sound anymore. Wish I would've kept it
for re-amping possibilities.
that amp is so damn sweet..I should have got at at the local shop for $300 before they jacked the price up to $800..it had a broken trem too..the reverb IS amazing on it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 am

I had a blueface MXR delay with selectable delay times in multiples of 2. Yeah, I shouldna gotten rid of that.

That's the really big one.

I had a Prophet-600 that was my first keyboard, which I gave away, and have had no regrets about.

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:53 am

oh I also forgot: an ARP DGX pro. totally cool monophonic touch-sensitive keyboard
with lots of crazy pressure effects and switches and weird sounds. it was pretty fun
but I got sick of it and it was in pretty bad shape...worked fine but the bottom was
basically cardboard and falling apart. got a lot for that one, so I'm not that sorry.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Randy wrote:In 1982 I bought a Bassman Blonde for $150 and used it for bass. (The store I got it from was selling the blackface ones for $225) I sold it in 1986 for $170 to get a Peavey TNT130. It was an improvement in terms of volume, but that's it.

I sold a Tascam M106 mixer to buy Deck recording software for my Mac. The mixer was kind of noisy and sort of useless, except for the incredible direct bass sound it gave. I wish I still had it. All the ones I see used are trashed beyond usefulness.
interesting! i've got one kicking around. maybe i'll try it on direct bass, and if i don't like it maybe you'd want it? then i can write a 'wish i still had...' post of my own about it a few years down the road.

mines in good shape btw.

j-no