best 'fake' organ (including software) you have used?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:44 am

I recently had an Hammond digital (?) organ in here that was run through a Leslie... AMAZING! Even though I have the B4 and the B4II, this combo really took it to the next level. Of course, as mentioned, he was a great player and that makes all the difference in the world.

I am thinking that a setup like that would cure my itch to get a real B3/Leslie, save some cash, maintenance and a lot of studio space.
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 am

Once a Hammond/Leslie has been set up properly and gone over by a tech, there is very little maintenence involved, cept for oiling the generator once every six months or so. B3s are way way overpriced nowadays. RT3,A100,A105,C3 are the best deals out there. NI B4 is a great simulation,especially thru a Leslie or other "real" amp. And you can get the LFO that controls the fake Leslie to spin in time with the tempo of the song.If you like that kind of thing.......

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:59 am

hogfish wrote:Once a Hammond/Leslie has been set up properly and gone over by a tech, there is very little maintenence involved, cept for oiling the generator once every six months or so. ....
Totally true.
I have never (knock on wood) had to do tons of work on either the hammond or the leslie, an I have had a couple...

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:10 am

the USB charlie is not bad. check that out.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:48 am

Another vote for th B4. I got an upgrade that included trashier sounds (like a poorly maintained B3) and farfisa, Vox organ sounds. Is that what peoplw mean by II? I'll have to check it out.

I have a Leslie Model 16 (passive guitar cab - 2 speed) but I'm so happy with the way the B4 sounds I don't bother with putting it through the leslie.

It's fantastic.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:13 am

inverseroom wrote:It's hard to beat Istvan Kaldor's DirtBag, which is freeware. His page is down right now though...
Another vote for Istvan Kaldor's "DIRTBAG".

Free VST PLUGIN

Here is a mirror site to download from.

http://www.joshgemmell.com/ik/Dirtbag/

It competes with the b4 vst and daorgan vst.

moogrock
takin' a dinner break

Post by moogrock » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:11 pm

i want to check out dirtbag...
but it appears to be windows only...
dAaaAAAaamn.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:14 pm

moogrock wrote:i want to check out dirtbag...
but it appears to be windows only...
dAaaAAAaamn.

Wouldn't this work?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FXPVSTRTAS

It's a vst to rtas wrapper that converts vst for use in protools.

moogrock
takin' a dinner break

Post by moogrock » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:28 pm

its still a windows application technically.
and also that would involve using/owning pro tools... which i do not.
is it was an osx VST everything woudl be great.
but its a windows VST aka nothin' i can use.
which sucks.
it sounds gooood.

looks like it was made with synthedit.
somebody should make some magic synthedit vsti to osx vst.
it would rule.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:36 pm

Honestly it might be worth finding a beater pc just to run it on, like an outboard synth.

I think it's that cool.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:30 pm

It depends on what you need. B4 sounds good, but is limited by being a plug-in (ie, no hands-on control). The chorus is just okay. Some people say they like the original B4 better, but the expression pedal does not function like a real tonewheel organ expression pedal.

The most authentic B3 sound out there right now is by... imagine this... Hammond. The Hammond-Suzuki XK1 or XK3c are fantastic. Through a real Leslie, they are absolutely untouchable. Especially for live use, there is nothing like being able to grab a handful of drawbars on the fly and sculpt your sound. And they nailed the chorus/vibrato.

I use a full Hammond Suzuki XK System (with dual manuals and pedals) live because I need something that is setup just like a B3, with all the controls right there. If you don't need the physical interface, then the B4 will probably be fine.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm

I should add that if you want to see the Hammond XK System in action, here's my jazz trio playing a festival last summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voKkE2k_f50
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

moogrock
takin' a dinner break

Post by moogrock » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:06 pm

i could assign via midi the drawbars to knobs... but it wouldnt have quite the same effect... but that was my plan if i used a plug-in...

i will go and check out the hammond XK... as that sounds more like what i am looking for... as i want the physicality of it... the way you play ORGAN vs the way you play 'workstation keyboards'...
AND...
why i posted in gear talk and not software...

i was hoping for a nord vs hammond vs oberheim vs voce sort of thing...

thanks!

soundmasterg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmasterg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:32 pm

The key in getting a good B3 aound is the Leslie cabinet. Mic up a good cabinet and you're halfway there! I had some good results with a Roland VR-760 and a local player. We could have used a real B3 since he had one, but he suggested to bring just the Leslie and the Roland and sure enough it was close enough. I've been around B3's enough to know what they sound like, and I'm a tube nut too, but I was happy with the VR-760. I guess it will also do other keyboard sounds well too. I heard it's version of a Wurlie, a Vox Continental, and a Rhodes, and they all sounded close enough through the Leslie.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:04 pm

I run Organized Trio http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=read&b=13 on my windows laptop for live stuff, and I think it sounds great. And it's free! In the studio, I use Logic's EVB3 more often, just because it's on the studio computer. I think both sound pretty good, the clean sounds of Organized Trio really kill me, the distortion sounds a little cheesy on ot though. The drive stuff on EVB3 is pretty awesome. I also have an M3, though no leslie, and, to be honest, most if the time, I'd rather call up EVB3 or Org. Trio than mic up the M3. I'm lazy, though.