bass recording techniques + mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

abarroso
pluggin' in mics

Post by abarroso » Tue May 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Whether I mic the amp or run direct, I always use my Audio Technica Pro-37 on the bass itself. I aim for where the neck meets the body and I cut the unnecessary HIs so that I'm left with just the subtle sounds of the strings and fingers. I blend this in to my mix and it adds a degree of depth to my sound.
Perhaps other small diaphragm mics would work well this way, but I only own the 37.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:55 pm

I used an Audix D6 run through a Yamaha PM1K and into an AMEK 9098 compressor just barely hitting -3db on the hot spots. Sounded pretty good while tracking but haven't had a chance to listen to it properly yet. I'm going to try a condensor next time and see what that sounds like...I compared the D6 to my Senn 602 and felt like I was getting a little more punch from the D6...You guys using the condensors...Where are you placing them at?
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:28 pm

It often helps to send the bass guitar through the same parallel compression as your drums, especially if the compressor is set to crush. The drum tracks you're sending may then need to be reset to account for the added energy of the bass, but it's a good way to get the bass moving without just turning up the bass track.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:33 pm

Mane1234 wrote:You guys using the condensors...Where are you placing them at?
I usually like it a bit back from the speaker (as close as 4", but normally 6"-18" back), with the idea that the DI will get a lot of the dry articulation, and the mic will pick up the bass sound's soul.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:57 pm

i really love the sans amp bass driver for clarity into a trident pre.. i generally split the signal coming from the driver's parallel out into a fuzz pedal (bluebeard of big muff) and into an ampeg svt4 pro.. i then go direct out of the ampeg into another channel of trident.. when i mix, the sans amp is my foundation and i can blend the ampeg fuzz for the more aggressive parts of the songs.. it's a good way to still hear the bass attack once guitars are distorted without having to eq at all after the fact. assuming you've dialed in a killer tone to begin with