topaz/patchbay signal flow help please!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm

cgarges wrote:
trodden wrote:
cgarges wrote:This always confuses me when people ask about it. Why would you NOT want to monitor what's going to the RADAR (or other specified recording device)? Like, why does the mic pre signal have to be split? Why not just send the pre to the recorder and then listen to the recorder?
Some of us have latency issues and need to mult the outboard pre to the console for tracking monitoring and take the second one to the recording device cause if we monitor off of recording device (digi 001), we get the latency.
Gotcha. Man, that blows.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
dude, tell me about it.. makes everything even more complicated!

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed May 30, 2007 5:23 pm

trodden wrote:Welcome to my hell.
ha!
trodden wrote: Glad you got some patchbays already to go! the ones i just got are gonna need a lot of work .
it was very weird that i came across these particular bays. i was all ready to got the neutrik 1/4" bay route, and then these came along. sorry for all the de-soldering you might need to do :?

trodden wrote: I'm in the process of wiring up a bay for all of my compressors and effects.. until that is done, i'll be crawling around on my knees pluging shit in.
me.
sucks. i'm still there as well. there is hope though. soon man, soon.

jon

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 30, 2007 10:06 pm

I think, my biggest problem, is riding the line of what my studio needs vs. what it could do in the future. I'm the only one who works here, so i can have some werid quirks... but in the long run, maybe this place will be reinstalled somewhere else down the line where i should have it more "standardized"? like, i know that i'm going to use my four API's every full band tracking session... so why do i need to have all the boards pres normalled to my converters and my outboard pres on the side? why not have my api's and other outboard pres already normalled to the converters? BUT! what ive down the line, i do end up where the boards pre's match my outboards to a degree? I mean, the soundtracs pre's that i've got right now aren't that bad at all as it is!!! Then, there are the few dead channels in the soundtracs, and a few of them the pre's are dead but the tape ins work... how do i work around those? And what if i end up someday affording 24 channels of either tape or converter in and outs instead of 18? should i wire it up for 24 if in some case i find a way to move on past my digi 001, ai-3, finalizer in/out set up.. probably...

These are the silly little nuances that bug me when i'm planning the crap out. quite fucking stupid, but my personality makes them a bigger deal..

they don't seem like much, but when you are routing that much cable to a couple different places, Say to your board for the boards pres and then to your rack for the outboar pres... should i do groups of 24 or 16 or 8 or 4?, and you want it to be someone of a thing you can grow into instead of doing it all over again down the road... yeah, my head gets silly. I'll also check to make sure the door is locked like 5 times after i go to bed.

I kind of need to find the place in between where i am, basement studio, recording demos, 7 inches, and maybe a few full lengths a year, to where i can afford (time) to do more work down here or another location where other people could work as well, Then!!! it would make sense to make my patch bays as elaborate as my OCD desires.

til then, a bay for the sends to the a/d, a bay for the returns from the d/a, a bay of my sub group outs and inserts, and a bay of some mults and my little outboard gear should be more than enough....

unless i'm forgetting something...

one think i wish these patchbay threads didn't die. I learn a lot from each one.

ter
audio school

Post by ter » Thu May 31, 2007 9:56 pm

Typical path...

mic - console preamp (feeds cans) - tape send - tape - tape return - control room mix

or

mic-external preamp- tape send - tape - tape return- control room mix and feed to cans

jon-- i assume you're using the radar, i've never had latency problems monitoring through mine. if using external preamps, patch them right to the radar inputs and feed phones from the tape returns. if using console preamps, you can feed cans from the preamp side or the tape return side.

if you're using a preamp in the tracking room, just use one of your mic lines back to the patchbay, and patch it over to the radar input, then monitor from the tape return. i do it all the time. no issues, no extra cabling needed.

t
http://www.thomaseaton.com
thomas eaton recording
acoustic music guy