Peak vs. RMS detecting Comp/Lims -- which to use when?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:01 pm

i never ever think about it. i think "this needs some compression" and turn knobs till it sounds right.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I was putting some compression on an electric guitar and I was switching out between RMS and Peak. I preferred the sound of Peak for that application. I just have kept it on Peak since then. On RMS I could hear the compressor working too much.

Just do what I did and mess with the compressor on some instrument, switch between RMS and Peak and see what you like better. I think thats really all it comes down to...

against88
takin' a dinner break

Post by against88 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:31 am

this is absurd. i was really looking forward to learning how peak vs RMS work and how it might be applicable in certain situations. that kind of theory is really valuable to people like myself who weren't able to intern with cranky old engineers or didn't go to engineering school.

ofcourse we should all being making decisions based on the SOUND. yes we get it. but for everyone that has replied saying " just use what sounds good", do you really think there is no value in understanding how this equipment works?? here's someone who actually wants to know the theory and technical process behind this compressor, and you guys are ignoring it. if you don't know, that's fine, just say it. but if the attack time, release time, threshold, etc are worth understanding, i don't see why the detection method is irrelevent.

sorry if this is a rant... its probably my first. congrats me.

-will

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:55 am

Your question sounded like you wanted to know if anyone decided to use a particular compressor based on whether or not the detector was peak-oriented or RMS oriented. I think for most of the people who responded, the answer is "no." I know it is for me, most of the time.

I don't ever think about plugging in a "peak compressor" or an "RMS compressor." I think about plugging in an 1176, a Manley Vari-MU, a DBX, a GML, a Distressor, or whatever. I'm FAR more likely to think about all the factor involved in what those compressors do and what they sound like (electronically) than how the detector works. I certainly have a very base understanding of how the detectors work in most compressors, but I rarely think about it in a session, unless there's some kind of problem.

I think Colin F. gave you a pretty good description of how it works a few posts up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:47 am

against88 wrote:that kind of theory is really valuable to people like myself who weren't able to intern with cranky old engineers or didn't go to engineering school.
You could intern with cranky old engineers, or go to engineering school. :D

Or get both kinds of compressors and experiment. In this case, I think there is more subjectivity than color-by-numbers theory. Even with the technical definition or description, that's not going to tell you how they will sound. What's the old saying- "writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?

This board is extremely informative, but it doesn't mean jack until you try your own hand at it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:34 am

against88 wrote:if you don't know, that's fine, just say it.
i don't know how any of this stuff works. cereal. i am a simpleton. turn knobs, use ears, make decisions.

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:33 pm

If the compressor has a peak/rms switch and I'm working on drums, I'll switch it to peak.

More snap.