Two Computer Monitors Set Up

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:49 am

Trodden:
Congrats on the 2 displays. I myself have two 21" lcd screens sitting in boxes awaiting use with my G4. Is it easy to set up on the software side? By that, I guess I mean two things.
1) Just in general setting up the two displays in OSX
2) Setting up the mix and edit windows in pro tools. For instance, how do you make it so that each screen is in fact an area in itself and not part of a greater area? Ie. If you click to maximize your mix window does it fill both screens or just the one? How is this set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unless of course I'm overanalyzing before diving in?

James

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:44 am

hey it was very easy for me, no software noodling, just open pro tools, maximize each screen, and there you go, the mix and edit window stay in their respective monitors

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:51 am

i'm so glad that the -10, +4 switch is there... after my dumb ass did the mod on the topaz to +4, forgetting that the 001 only does -10 on channels 3-8!!
you probably alrady know, but you can toggle betwen -10 & +4 and add more volume in Setup/hardware

hughmanatee
gettin' sounds

Post by hughmanatee » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:56 am

really its the worst photoshop job ever, but i'm laid up with a broken leg, what else am I going to do?. sorry but the add image thing just baffles the shit outta me. feel free to help me figure the thing out if you want

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj10 ... 1198439531

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:13 pm

hughmanatee wrote:
i'm so glad that the -10, +4 switch is there... after my dumb ass did the mod on the topaz to +4, forgetting that the 001 only does -10 on channels 3-8!!
you probably alrady know, but you can toggle betwen -10 & +4 and add more volume in Setup/hardware
not on the outputs 3-8. they are set at -10. the inputs you can adjust. not the outputs.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:14 pm

UnlikeKurt wrote:Trodden:
Congrats on the 2 displays. I myself have two 21" lcd screens sitting in boxes awaiting use with my G4. Is it easy to set up on the software side? By that, I guess I mean two things.
1) Just in general setting up the two displays in OSX
2) Setting up the mix and edit windows in pro tools. For instance, how do you make it so that each screen is in fact an area in itself and not part of a greater area? Ie. If you click to maximize your mix window does it fill both screens or just the one? How is this set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unless of course I'm overanalyzing before diving in?

James
I'll let you know when i get them both set up! i have to get an adapter before i can do both of them, as well as re-arrange a bunch of my set up to make room. I'm heading kansas shitty for xmas tomorrow so its waiting til i get back. cheers.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:09 pm

hughmanatee wrote:really its the worst photoshop job ever, but i'm laid up with a broken leg, what else am I going to do?. sorry but the add image thing just baffles the shit outta me. feel free to help me figure the thing out if you want

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj10 ... 1198439531
hahah nice

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:48 pm

Hey, did it work? Because I have been looking at doing a 2 monitor thing, and I thought I needed a second video card to have 2 different windows on 2 screens.

If not, that's the best news I've heard in a few days. PCI or PCI-X video cards for Mac aren't exactly available at Best Buy.

Keep a brother in the loop.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:16 am

I was rocking the dual 17" giant VGA monitors with my G5 until last year at this time. The band who I've been working with bought me dual 17" flat-screens and it was and still is great. Something that I would have eventually spent money on but so nice when someone else does it for you.

Kind of like the new "flat" Apple keyboard that I am typing this here post with. Great gift.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:38 pm

Jeff,

So I'll ask directly: Do you use the g5's AGP video card alone? Or did you buy a second video card?

As I understand, if I want two different images, I need a second card. If I just want the same thing twice, I can use both heads of my G5's AGP card. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks,
Jim

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:Hey, did it work? Because I have been looking at doing a 2 monitor thing, and I thought I needed a second video card to have 2 different windows on 2 screens.

If not, that's the best news I've heard in a few days. PCI or PCI-X video cards for Mac aren't exactly available at Best Buy.

Keep a brother in the loop.
don't know yet man! stuck in Kansas Shitty for a few more days visiting the family.

I'll keep you informed!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:12 pm

I'd be real suprised if dual-head AGP cards displayed the same image under OSX. I'm a PC guy, but I've been running two-monitor set ups since the Windows 98 days. I'm on a single 21" now, which is at 1600x1024(?), is plenty for my needs, and works with my space a little better.

If you're running onboard or PCI video through main memory, an AGP card is also a really good performance upgrade. Frames go directly to the video card instead of having to be dealt with by the processor. Takes a load off.