You let them rehearse. They think you're rolling. You're not

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:12 am

the finger genius wrote:I think this is much more of an issue in a tape based studio. If you're using a DAW, there's really no reason not to be rolling constantly.
Some people rehearse through different parts many times. And on some sessions, they expect everything to automatically come together and happen instantly. I don't know if that makes much sense.

It's difficult to keep track of 15 scattered pieces of takes from different parts of the song that are quickly labeled in such a session.

I usually keep a pen and pad with me so I can write down where the rehearsal ends and the song starts, and other info like that, so I can make markers later. If it's one rehearsal before the song starts, that's one thing. But a thousand little snippets of audio can make a fast paced session more confusing and troublesome.

A lot of people think precisely that, since it is DAW based recording, that they can play the song in no order, that the edits happen instantly, and that the computer knows which takes of which parts need to go together, in no time flat. It doesn't work like that. there's consequences to not having a workflow. I try to establish some workflow if I notice the session is going in that direction. I'm just recently starting to win more often.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:36 am

RWC wrote:A lot of people think precisely that, since it is DAW based recording, that they can play the song in no order, that the edits happen instantly, and that the computer knows which takes of which parts need to go together, in no time flat. It doesn't work like that. there's consequences to not having a workflow. I try to establish some workflow if I notice the session is going in that direction. I'm just recently starting to win more often.
A lot of people also expect me to make their lousy excuse for a drummer sound like he's playing in time (or my personal favorite; like bonham.) Dealing with people who have unrealistic expectations is a part of life; I don't see it as a reason not to keep the red lights running.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:06 pm

Because it makes for a messy session.

It's one thing to have 4 or 5 takes of something, but I have had sessions where they wanted me to keep upwards of 120 takes. Not even "that was ok, let's try it again".. but at different parts in the song, without stopping the recording. All of different pieces of different parts of the song.

Audio won't line up because they'll start trying one part of the song after a take of another with not enough break for a reasonable cut inbetween. It's a great philosophy to keep the red lights running all the time. Sometimes it's just not practical, IMHO.

I rarely if ever do mix sessions with mixing stuff I haven't recorded. I run into these issues sometimes with shit not lining up because there was no foot laid down in tracking. The band figured the recorder was "always running" and the session reflects that. No rhyme or rhythm, a total clusterfuck of regions that make no sense and sound like something you'd hear at a carnival when you hit play(or spacebar :))

Again, it's one thing to have multiple takes of something one after the other, or even a structured method of doing one take after the other of different instruments. But it's impossible in certain sessions to just keep recording 100% of the time.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 am

Just a suggestion.....

If you're like me, you might still have a DAT deck in the room. During setup, pop a tape in it and hit record. Connect it to the stereo outs of your console, DAW, etc. Just let it roll. This way, at least you're capturing something in case you weren't ready.

By the time the tape starts to run out, you're well into the session anyway, so you shouldn't have to worry about attending to the extra machine.

A good cheap(?) "just-in-case" solution, and a good way to put obsolete gear back to work.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:16 am

There is no such thing as "rehearsal" in the studio as far as I am concerned. I just roll. If the take is awesome, you got it. If it sucks, erase it. if it is a maybe, keep it and do another take. Just my opinion. on the rare occasion that I dont hit record for a "rehearsal" for whatever reason, like I was patching stuff when the band started or something, I will let tem know BEFORE they start playing in no uncertain terms that I AM JUST SETTING UP AND THIS IS NOT BEING RECORDED. for real. Just be clear ahead of time.

Funny how many times if you just ask, "should I take it just in case?" to the band when they say "we just want to rehearse something" you will get a resounding, "fuck it , man, lets do this!" or a "yeah, we may nail it" or "we got it this time, lets just do it" type of thing. Just be clear. It is a team effort.