where do you focus your attention during mixing?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 pm

dgrieser wrote:Great post, Joel.
Amen. Nicely said Joel.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm

mobtownstudios wrote:
Amen. Nicely said Joel.
Yep.

Joel. I'm almost starting to get bored of your consistently awesome posts.

Can you please try typing something really sucky and uninformed for a change of pace please? You know, mix it up a little, dude.

Yeesh!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Where do I focus my attention when mixing? I focus on taking a bunch of elements and making the one coehesive whole.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 pm

joel hamilton wrote: Like when you are boxing, ....
My mixes often sound punch-drunk. :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Huh?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:45 pm

I focus on the tubes to transform my amateurly-recorded material to warm and superior sounding tracks.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:38 am

Having a hard time focusing on the whole song cuz yr focusing on the minute details? I have a really cool pic of Bruce Springsteen right between my near fields. I focus on that instead, somehow it lets the music come into my ears without that narrow point of attention.
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 am

If you have a mix that just won't come together no mater what you do it is often because the problem lies in the arrangement. A well arranged, well played song is a breeze to mix.
You should start thinking about the mix in pre-production and keep it in mind all the way through the process.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:58 am

I like to focus on tinkering with all my audio toys like rack gear and plugins. ;) Then, when it sounds like total crap, I take all that stuff away and start over.

Seriously though, it depends on the music. I'll usually start with drums, then vocals and then add other stuff in. I don't solo things too much except for setting compression parameters and sometimes EQ, but I return to the big picture rather quickly since that's what's important. I try not to EQ too much but I will high pass a lot of stuff to keep low end clutter minimized.

After drums and vocals, I'm listening to how the bass, guitars, and keyboards(or other instruments) sit together making sure the bass is filling out the low end and can be heard well enough to make the groove with the drums happen right. Then I try to get the guitars big, if the song calls for that, without obscuring the vocals.

Also try to listen for the dynamics of the song and accentuate that with the mix or add dynamics with mixing if the musicians didn't play it dynamically enough.

Above all, don't neglect the song. Do what the song calls for or is telling you and use appropriate techniques for the style of music.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am

If you have a mix that just won't come together no mater what you do it is often because the problem lies in the arrangement. A well arranged, well played song is a breeze to mix.
Wow, good post. This is so true. I wish I'd thought of that.

HighColourStudio
audio school graduate

Post by HighColourStudio » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:15 am

It's my opinion that lousy sounding drums makes everything sound bad, even if you have recorded the holy grail of guitar sounds.

I agree. If the drums are cloudy, phasey, or otherwise poorly tracked/mixed, then its hard to get any other instruments to sit nicely within the mix. I focus on the snare and kick first, since thats what drives the tune (in most cases). Usually when someone comments on a good recording/mix, they are reacting to either a great drum sound, or good vocals, or Both! In my opinion, tracking drums is the hardest thing to do in the recording realm. A good mix begins with good drumtracking. Good luck, and remember, everyone mixes differently, and there is no right way or wrong way.
No Gear and decent Ears, and a few things in Between.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:35 am

junkshop wrote:If you have a mix that just won't come together no mater what you do it is often because the problem lies in the arrangement. A well arranged, well played song is a breeze to mix.
You should start thinking about the mix in pre-production and keep it in mind all the way through the process.
totally. Ran into that a few times last record i did. What i was doing wrong though, was not making the "weird" parts of the songs, weird or noisy enough... i kept thinking that the arrangement was just not good, but actually the arrangement just needed me to fuck it up (the mix and tone and feel) some more in certain sections. Once i got on the same page as the song writer, it came together much easier.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:19 pm

mobtownstudios wrote:
Amen. Nicely said Joel.
Nice use of the word Joel.