Cool "Mojo" Tracking Session Film....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Way too many guys rocking their sunglasses indoors throughout this.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:09 pm

i dunno. i think if i just heard the music alone, i'd say it was pretty decent. but it just seems to be kind of goofy with these 60+ year old guys acting "cool." i think this is one instance where video kind of ruins it. it's also hard to imagine tom petty doing this type of music... these guys are acoustic rockers, not bluesmen.

you know, i always heard that if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothing at all...but i just couldn't resist.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:06 pm

casey campbell wrote:....but it just seems to be kind of goofy with these 60+ year old guys acting "cool."
That room, those instruments, those amps, the way they are choosing to work, is just "cool"--period...

I don't care if you're 16 or 90...

And it's inspirational...
At least to me, and not just because I happen to be the same age...

Fuck piecing songs together track by track, isolating all the amps and trying to get a good mix on everybody's headphones, overdubbing and comping the vocals till it's "just right", etc. etc. like all the crap out there....
Just go out and play it till it's good...

Yeah, the songs are "just OK" to these ears....
But the way those guys are working--and the sounds they are getting to tape--make that video one of the most inspirational pieces of tape I've seen in a long long time...

I've watched the thing 15 times or so, and I'll probably send it to everyone who I will be working with in the future with a note: "Watch this!"

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 pm

tonewoods wrote: it's inspirational...
+1

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 pm

tactics wrote:Way too many guys rocking their sunglasses indoors throughout this.
+10000
the new rules : there are no rules

MidiMonk
audio school graduate

Post by MidiMonk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

My next project is going to be this way, thanks for the inspiring post.I truly enjoy the synergy of a real band feeding off another rather than an intern beat detecting the soul down the drain.As always the songs define the methodology and the rules broken whenever possible.
"Everything proceeds as if of its own accord, and this can all too easily tempt us to relax and let things take their course without troubling over details. Such indifference is the root of all evil."

-I Ching

bnkepner
audio school

Post by bnkepner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Pretty cool music but Petty doesnt have the voice for this style at all

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 pm

tonewoods wrote:
casey campbell wrote:....but it just seems to be kind of goofy with these 60+ year old guys acting "cool."
That room, those instruments, those amps, the way they are choosing to work, is just "cool"--period...

I don't care if you're 16 or 90...

And it's inspirational...
At least to me, and not just because I happen to be the same age...

Fuck piecing songs together track by track, isolating all the amps and trying to get a good mix on everybody's headphones, overdubbing and comping the vocals till it's "just right", etc. etc. like all the crap out there....
Just go out and play it till it's good...

Yeah, the songs are "just OK" to these ears....
But the way those guys are working--and the sounds they are getting to tape--make that video one of the most inspirational pieces of tape I've seen in a long long time...

I've watched the thing 15 times or so, and I'll probably send it to everyone who I will be working with in the future with a note: "Watch this!"

i guess i missed your original point. i think that it's great if it inspires you to reach further in your craft...that alone is worth it all.

it reminds me of an article i read about bernie kirsch. about being an engineer is about people more than technique. it was really an inspiring article to me, but no one else really understood it. i have always told others to get around stuff that lights a fire within you. sorry i missed what you said originally. even if they are acting a little old school rock star, if it inspires, it's valuable.

God bless....

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:07 pm

tactics wrote:Way too many guys rocking their sunglasses indoors throughout this.
That's because it was a filmed event, where there were way more lights in the room than normal.

And it sounds / looks too clean, so I do not think it is a rehearsal at all.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.