Fun things upon which to stick a contact mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 am

There are lots of great ideas on this compilation of music made for contact mics I was on, folks did some really cool stuff.

http://brownianmotion.bandcamp.com/albu ... t-trickery

I taped mine to a piece of ductwork and leaned it against an amp for some of the stuff to make a really lofi plate reverb, stuck it in the fold of a dulcimer made of cardboard, taped it to a ride cymbal I played with an electric head scratcher, taped it to some sort of mexican gourd shaker.

There's lots of fun stuff you can do with them!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 am

Darlington Pair wrote:There are lots of great ideas on this compilation of music made for contact mics I was on, folks did some really cool stuff.

I taped mine to a piece of ductwork and leaned it against an amp for some of the stuff to make a really lofi plate reverb, stuck it in the fold of a dulcimer made of cardboard, taped it to a ride cymbal I played with an electric head scratcher, taped it to some sort of mexican gourd shaker.

Neat ideas, all. Thanks.

BTW, I'm listening to the album you linked and there's some really great stuff on there! Some standout tracks, but the whole thing is pretty rad. I'm assuming that's a mix/collaboration of sorts?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 am

Smitty wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:There are lots of great ideas on this compilation of music made for contact mics I was on, folks did some really cool stuff.

Neat ideas, all. Thanks.

BTW, I'm listening to the album you linked and there's some really great stuff on there! Some standout tracks, but the whole thing is pretty rad. I'm assuming that's a mix/collaboration of sorts?
It's a themed compilation of mostly contact music group participants. The challenge was to feature the versatility of contact mics. My track is last I think, under the name Darlington Pair

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Darlington Pair wrote: It's a themed compilation of mostly contact music group participants. The challenge was to feature the versatility of contact mics. My track is last I think, under the name Darlington Pair
I really dig your track. Nice work.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:40 am

Smitty wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote: It's a themed compilation of mostly contact music group participants. The challenge was to feature the versatility of contact mics. My track is last I think, under the name Darlington Pair
I really dig your track. Nice work.
Thank you so much! It was really nothing, just an evening of messing around taping it to things to see what it sounded like and then recording the first take, I didn't go into it with too many plans.