Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 pm

roscoenyc, those pickups look great. A good copy of a P-90 without the noise, hard to beat.

I just bought a Yamaha F335:

The only acoustic guitar I've had, for years now, has been my Ovation Celebrity. It's always been fine, but lately it's started to bother me how far my acoustic guitar sounds are from what I've wanted. I love hearing recordings where you can really hear the body of the guitar with a strum kind of sound that sits somewhat separately from the body, if that makes sense. The Ovation sounds more like one chunkier sound, but not in the woody, midrange Wilco kind of sound that I like for certain songs. I thought I'd see if I could find a good replacement. I went to the local musicmart (since it's the only place around here with a good selection of acoustic guitars, unfortunately). I looked for anything under $200 (I wasn't expecting much, maybe something to beat up). I played a few, with the cheapest one sounding best to me - a Mitchell MD100. I highly recommend it, they sound great and woody. I saw someone grab a cheap Yamaha before I could try it, and they bought it. So I asked if they had more of those. The guy said "a cheap Yamaha? We've got one one sale". He got it out, and oh man was it sweet. It was a tough choice between the Yamaha and the Mitchell, until I realized the notes of the Mitchell started to get sharp as I went up the frets. So the Yamaha it was, and I love it. It sounds incredible in every room I've played it in, including my mostly-dead basement studio. It's really nicely built, doesn't feel cheap at all except that it's a little light. Definitely recommended if you need a cheap but nice acoustic. It's got just the body/string sound I was looking for.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm

doesn't feel cheap at all except that it's a little light.
That's a GOOD thing!!
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Hadn't bought a lot of gear in a long time. I bought all this off CL over the course of the last two weeks, altogether for about $2500..all in great condition.

Alesis HD24XR
2 Furman ML8s
16U Gator rack
10U SKB rack
Furman HDS-6 and 3 remotes
keyboard stand
6 mic stands
2 Shure SM57s
2 Sennheiser E906s
2 Rode NT5s
Shure KSM44
AKG D112
several Auralex bass traps and other misc acoustic treatments
Behringer MX 8000
mixer stand
6 10ft TRS to TT 8 ch snakes

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I just received a Digi 001 and a Mac Tower (467 Mhz?) for free. So now I have Pro Tools, rocking LE version 6.2.3 and digging it so far. I'm clocking the Digi 001 off of my Black Lion 828mk2 and going in and out via ADAT. Not going to mix in PT (I have my G5 and Digital Performer for that!), but at least I can learn to use the software for free.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:06 am

picked up a pair of Dynaudio BM5a monitors yesterday. i went to guitar center purely for listening purposes (trying to decide between these and the adam a7s), and it turns out the dynaudios were on clearance. cool.

also my MOTU 24i/o is currently at Black Lion Audio being modded (+ microclock).

i'm excited to hear how it all sounds together. hopefully an improvement over stock 24i/o through behringer truths.

otherwise, i've been trying desperately to get rid of extra gear. too much clutter in the basement.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 am

mattcastore wrote:picked up a pair of Dynaudio BM5a monitors yesterday. i went to guitar center purely for listening purposes (trying to decide between these and the adam a7s), and it turns out the dynaudios were on clearance. cool.

also my MOTU 24i/o is currently at Black Lion Audio being modded (+ microclock).

i'm excited to hear how it all sounds together. hopefully an improvement over stock 24i/o through behringer truths.

otherwise, i've been trying desperately to get rid of extra gear. too much clutter in the basement.
I've got the BM5As. I love 'em. Lots.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:54 pm

I bought a 888/24 recently on the cheap to replace the last 20 Bit 888 we had at the studio. 32 channel of glorious 888's at stunning 24/48 :wink:

Now I'm searching for a cheap C414B-ULS and C 460 B. I've gotten some great deals on them in the past, but not lately.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 pm

I picked up Vox Night Train - running it through a Hot Rod Deluxe 112.

Tasty, tasty little amp.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Picked up my fourth Aphex 651 Expressor cheap off eBay. This will be my last one (four total now), and besides a mix buss compressor of some kind I've got all the compressors I need for now. But that investment is a big chunk of change, so I think I'll just borrow one when needed for...ohh...as long as I have a job at Gear for Days :wink:

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Picked up my fourth Aphex 651 Expressor cheap off eBay. This will be my last one, I've got all the compressors I need.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Fender Roland-ready Strat. It was cheap, like "Squier cheap..." but it's been worked over, like "the cop in Reservoir Dogs" worked over.

I've never been one to have the guts to seriously modify a guitar neck... this guy reshaped the back of the neck with a sander, and scalloped the frets above the octave with a dremel tool.

He's confident, I'll give him that. And the guitar is entirely playable, I'll give him that too. He made a lot of money with that guitar. It's all there where it counts. But... sheesh. Talk about function over form...
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 pm

RE20... thanks Matt!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Just bought Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 am

Just finished my second 1176 build. Sounds awesome in stereo!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Recently traded my Tribute ASAT for a '63 Fender DuoSonic with an aftermarket full scale neck and God-knows what pickups. It's a little rough but plays like a gem. Got a Mackie 1202vlz Pro in the trade too.

Also traded an old drum kit for a mid-60's Stella acoustic. Spray-painted block "inlays." Sweet. Plus, my daughter's name is Stella and she gets a kick out of the headstock. Good times.