abc

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:48 pm

You have a cool song there. Everything blends so well.

It all fits well with the clean design of the website too. Nice going.

My friend has a 2488 (first edition) that he brought along to Beijing for a year. He had to bring it in his carryon duffel somehow, and he also had to open it and demonstrate its features to the customs officers. Just imagine: "Okay, here's how the EZ Routing works. Watch this. Do you want "Match Drive" on that, or should we go for one of the microphone simulators?"

Between this bitchen song, your bitchen website, and your question about whether I have a website, I am getting fired up to set up a website again! Fantastic.

EDIT: I think I mean 2480. The Roland one, whatever that is.
Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:29 pm

I have to chime in about the Olivia Tremor Control. Black Foliage is fucking amazing. The vocal sound is not the same, but in my mind it's similar. Check out the TapeOp Book thing on Rob Schneider from Apples.

ALSO check out So What About Freemdoom by Masters of Hemisphere. Those vocals have that brilliance, shininess, sparkle that I think you are talking about. The vocals are obviously double tracked the whole way through, and that plays a big part of the sound. Not sure what kind of gear or method they used when recording. I ought to google that....

Check those out, and check out the gear used. That'll give you a modern reference point for a smiliar sound, which might help you use that modern gear that you have in a better way. Not that you are inept or anything, didn't mean it like that....

jim!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:49 pm

You really wanna sound like John on 'Bad Boy'?

get born in the 40's, be an excited teenager during the birth of rock and roll. buy everything wild and rocking from the time, try deperately to get some of that sound (larry williams, little richard, chuck berry, howlin wolf, muddy waters, fats domino, carl perkins, bo diddley, elvis presley..) way deep into your soul. love it more than anything in the whole world.

then fucking do it like you mean it.
beware bee wear

abc
ass engineer

Post by abc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:08 am

abc
Last edited by abc on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:41 am

Hi Hugh,
Listening to Taxman, aside from getting the u47, one thing you could do to get closer to "the sound" is kill some of the "bedroomverb." There are a lot of early reflections getting into the mics. You should do some searches for 703 on here.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:02 am

Is there enhancer or exciter or maximizer on the lead vocal? It doesn't quite fool me. The guitar certainly does fool me though. Cool.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:14 am

joeysimms wrote:You really wanna sound like John on 'Bad Boy'?

get born in the 40's, be an excited teenager during the birth of rock and roll. buy everything wild and rocking from the time, try deperately to get some of that sound (larry williams, little richard, chuck berry, howlin wolf, muddy waters, fats domino, carl perkins, bo diddley, elvis presley..) way deep into your soul. love it more than anything in the whole world.

then fucking do it like you mean it.
very good point. instead of trying to sound like the beatles, try to sound like who THEY wanted to sound like. Paul took some cues from Little Richard and bluegrass/Everly Brothers harmonies are all over the place. This was how they learned to sing.

abc
ass engineer

Post by abc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:57 am

abc

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:56 am

Here's the most Lennon-esque vocal track I've recorded to date. The song reminds me of something that could have been on the Plastic Ono Band album, but the vocal sound is more from the Revolver era.

Recording Notes:
The vocal was recorded w/ a Neumann U-48 (VF-14 tube, KK48 capsule) into a Calrec PQ 11 based console. I don't remember if I used any compression on the vocal, if I did it was either an 1176 or LA-2A. I did use a Demeter Real Reverb (spring reverb). The effect you hear on the voice in certain sections is some kind of harmonizer that the singer uses live (it has foot switches to control it) maybe Boss makes it. I have no idea- but I like what does for the song. The acoustic guitars were recorded w/ a Neumann KM-54 directly into the Calrec console, no compression or effects. The Rick 360 12st gtr. was recorded with a Beyer M-88 in front of a 1964 Fender Princeton Reverb. Everything was recorded to an Otari 5050 1/2" 4trk.

BTW the singer Chris Cannon used to lead the Johnsons and he now has a great new band- Skinks. IMO the order of importance in trying to get this sound would be - singer, mic, mic amplifier, tape machine. I agree with the previous poster who stressed the importance of the accent. I think this singer uses that effectively as does Bob Pollard.

Check it out:
http://www.teenregimestudios.com/labelm ... fields.mp3

Good luck,
Bill

abc
ass engineer

Post by abc » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:13 am

abc

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:31 pm

joeysimms wrote:then fucking do it like you mean it.
The Key

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:34 pm

mr scratchy esq wrote:The effect you hear on the voice in certain sections is some kind of harmonizer that the singer uses live (it has foot switches to control it) maybe Boss makes it. I have no idea- but I like what does for the song.
All the vocal harmonies were done with a harmonizer? It does a pretty good job, if so. Or did you mean some other kind of standard chorusey effect?

Leigh

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:55 pm

All the vocal harmonies were done with a harmonizer? It does a pretty good job, if so. Or did you mean some other kind of standard chorusey effect?

Leigh
I think it was a Boss Harmonizer. I'm pretty sure it had several different footswitches that could be preset to create different harmonies. I have next to no interest in that kind of stuff (ie. effects boxes, guitar pedals, etc.) so I didn't really check it out too closely. It did add to the song though (IMO primarily because it is also a part of his live vocal sound).

Bill

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:17 pm

i just read thru this whole thread...i search for Beatles sounds constantly while
making up songs and recording. those sounds are why i wanted to make music
and start recording and i've found it difficult to create anything close to them. but it's still fun to try.
use whatever you have...i think it's more in how you do it than actual gear.

i recently did a cover of an early Bealtes song, "There's A Place" and i wasn't
really going for duplication, but i did try for the spirit:

http://www.ericmetronome.com/mp3s/cover ... aplace.mp3

thanks for starting this thread. i love that OTC album black folliage.
have to break that record out again.

eric

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:46 pm

We haven't heard from the originator of this thread much lately.