Moderators: drumsound, tomb

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

though so

Post by supafuzz » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:39 am

Thanks
That's what I thought
How can it hurt?
I agree and always think it's an improvement going into analog stuff......
thanks again
Harley
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:59 pm

Joel, I can tell you have been to the Mark Rubel School of Recording! :D
Dave H.
Will Drum For Money

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:38 pm

I seem to remember Robert Schneider from Apples in Stereo talking about running his mixes through his Neve pres or som'n. Like to the point of overdrive...anyone remember? Is it in the book?
what are you talking about? i love his production. did he write a book or was that a joke?
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Dave-H wrote:Joel, I can tell you have been to the Mark Rubel School of Recording! :D
Dave H.
Mark is kind of a kindred spirit, but he is much more patient than I am... ;)

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Recording tracks and then bringing the highs down, brilliant, I wish dolby had thought of that, oh, wait, they did. There's another reason Joel is rockin hard, he knows things. Things about what he hears that you can't hear, things like taking the noise down a notch and letting the beef run wild for three and a half minutes.
Dang, Joel! I can't believe you wrote that! You're perfectly right, of course, but, I stil can't believe you put it in print. Now people know things,,your things.
I've noticed that however the tracks come in, if they are workable individually and as a whole with enough definition and maybe a lil too much highs when summed, Joel's remedy works great in the digital realm. We used to use it a lot in the analogue realm, in the days of Aurthur, King Aurthur. (I have lost my frikkin mind)
Harumph!

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Joel makes some great points. Things that can help everyones mixes. The RTA can be your friend and sometimes your enemy. But it gives you an idea of what is happening with a reference mix is an amazing thing.

My secret weapon of choice is a Summit TPA 200 mic pre. Has a line in and if the yellow light is just coming on the track usually sounds better. I do not use this on everything just the few things that I master that sound bland.

Mike

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:30 am

Electro Harmonix blackfinger. Excellent for giving character/warmth/flavor ect. ect. to signal pre and/or post. Old tube stereo preamps can sound great as well. I am in possession of an (i'm guessing) early 1960's harmon/kardon citation I- stereo preamp and it sounds fantastic. Really adds weight to anything you can buss through it (of course it does have 9 12AX7s). I found that for almost nothing. It can be hit or miss with something like that. But to be practical I really do recommend the Blackfinger especially for (but def. not limited to) someone working along the lines of a Digi002 or mbox.

http://ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=% ... k%5FFinger

bluesbaz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bluesbaz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:41 pm

dokushoka wrote:I think the thing that I most associate with a "digital" sounding mix is the sound of clipped converters or plugins. The obvious solution (to me) for htis is to properly gain stage stuff, but, if I'm handed tracks to mix that have already been clipped, the story is different...

I those instances, I make lots of careful cuts with a nice eq to try and remove the offending frequencies. If I boost stuff, I find that using a discrete eq, preferably with a xformer, will really help. This is where discrete eqs really shine, IMO.
This is absolutely the truth, Its interesting to turn up the master buss in protools and listen to the sound change, as it distorts and not in a predictable way.