best 'fake' organ (including software) you have used?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:16 pm

moogrock wrote:i could assign via midi the drawbars to knobs... but it wouldnt have quite the same effect... but that was my plan if i used a plug-in...
Native Instruments used to (or maybe still does) sell a hardware unit with 9 drawbars and other controls on it. That would be cool.
i will go and check out the hammond XK... as that sounds more like what i am looking for... as i want the physicality of it... the way you play ORGAN vs the way you play 'workstation keyboards'...
If you want the physical nature of the beast, a soft-synth probably isn't going to be satisfying. Some people really like the Nords, but I just cannot get past the buttons instead of drawbars. I need my drawbars! :)

Keep in mind the XK1 uses the exact same engine as the more expensive XK3, it just doesn't have some of the extra control options. It has one set of drawbars instead of two, no reverse preset keys, and more stuff is accessable via menu instead of dedicated knobs, but the sound is all there. And again, through a real Leslie, it is untouchable.

The YouTube video's audio isn't that great. I posted a thread in the "Listen To My Stuff" forum here on TapeOp with a cut of my trio recorded in my project studio. I'm using the Hammond XK System through a 1950's era single-speed Leslie 21H. You might dig it:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=43214
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

soundmasterg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmasterg » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:31 pm

The Roland VR-760 that I mentioned has drawbars. Take a look at it here.

Greg

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03 ... R-760.html

idealfreedistribution
alignin' 24-trk

Post by idealfreedistribution » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:16 am

Whatever you use, I'd suggest running it through a good tube amp. I run my B4 through my VibroChamp, and it adds to the realism immensely. The tube amp sim just doesn't do it for me.

Craig

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:49 am

I just found found this one: http://rumpelrausch.de.vu/
close the ad when it pops up and click on downloads in the upper left.
It's an open source / free drawbar organ vsti. The version 1 sounds pretty good but I can't get version 3 for the mac to work... looks promising though for someone with windows. And it's FREE!

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm

heh in my quest for finding a good usable organ sound I neglected to try out what I already had. I was just messing around w the presets on my Nord Lead 2 and in performance mode they have some incredible sounding organ presets using all 4 patches at once!

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:44 am

I tried the VR-760 but you can't route the non-organ sounds to separate outputs. I do not want piano and synth sounds going through my Leslie.

I have been a lifelong Hammond player and it doesn't get any better than the XK-3. The one single feature that sold me - without auditioning the thing - was the feature to dial in your own custom tonewheel set, which means you can match it to your favorite Hammond. Tonewheel calibration varied from Hammond to Hammond, they don't sound the same. I happen to have a (vintage) Porta-B that screams and I successfully dialed in the calibration in the XK-3.

Add a real Leslie and you're there. I use a Dynacord CLS-222, have yet to hear a better Leslie simulator.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:12 am

The XK3 is indeed a bad mama jama. I haven't had time to make my own custom tonewheel set yet, but I plan on re-creating my 1958 B3 with it.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:50 am

I too love the B4, but I want to be able to do more with it in automation. For example, I love to hit a chord entering into a quiet section (like a verse or something) with the leslie on and then flip it off right away so that it slows down and eases into the verse part. From what I can tell, it's either ON or OFF. No flipping it on and off like you would a real organ. Anyone had a different experience? Maybe this is different in B4ii?

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:52 pm

B4 has simulated speed up/down for leslie fast/slow... and the parameters for how fast or slow it changes speed are editable.

I love the real B with all my heart.... but the B4 is invaluable for getting that sound on the cheap or in a small space. It just rocks soooo Hard!

Also finding a good old MIDI controller with no weightedness makes a huge difference in getting a little more vibe.
Everything louder than everything else.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:59 pm

AstroDan wrote:The Korg DW-8000 does an incredible organ, but no one would mistake it for a b3.
+1 on the DW-8000.

put that thru a decent rotary speaker sim (or not so decent, i use the "Leslie" algorithm on my old Alesis Quadraverb Plus) and you're in business!

gentle subtractive EQ is your friend on this one.

as for freeware VSTi, i like the Rumpelrausch T?ips ZR-1.

works very well in a mix, but don't solo it and expect it to sound authentic.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:24 am

the Nord Electro is one of the most usable Keyboards ever made.
The don't sound perfect, but good enough to record (especially through an amp.) and for live the are the best. 2 Rhodes, a Whurly, A Clavichord, A Yamaha Electric grand, an acoustic grand, and a Hammond in a 30 lb. box cannot be beat.

Nothing fancy, just the sounds that you really need.

I really want to try the Stage 88 but It is expensive.

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:28 am

Does anyone know of a Yamaha YC20/30/ or 40 copy (software)?

My YC30 has a mean ground hum and is a nightmare inside.
All hand wired and looks like a rats nest.
Weighs about a ton and a half too.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 am

I still enjoy the pipe organ patch on some shitty tiny Yamaha keyboard I've got. One trick pony, but it's a good trick.
off somewhere listening.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 am

I've heard tons of soft synths and droves of hardware keyboards that feature Farfisa-like sounds, but nothing even comes close to the uncanny character of my VIP 500, which has slowly died, and now doesn't even make a peep. :cry: