Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Re: great albums with only 1 guitar track

Post by Wilkesin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:25 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
dwlb wrote:
the first 5ive style record, and the heroic doses record, both featuring MY HERO bill dolan, are mostly just one guitar.
I miss getting to see him play on a semi-regular basis. The recorded to cassette tape, transferred to CD bootleg i have of the first time i saw heroic doses live is still a total blast to listen to! What a band!
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:05 pm

Early ZZ Top. (Brown Sugar baby!!)
- Brad

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 pm

I second Miles' mention of Gang of Four's Entertaimnment.

However, if you really want to hear unadulterated single guitar, check out Gang of Four's "Peel Sessions" album.

As I understand it, recorded live in the BBC Radio Studios - unbelievable. Tight yet sloppy. One of my favorite albums!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:32 am

Wilkesin wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: the first 5ive style record, and the heroic doses record, both featuring MY HERO bill dolan, are mostly just one guitar.
I miss getting to see him play on a semi-regular basis. The recorded to cassette tape, transferred to CD bootleg i have of the first time i saw heroic doses live is still a total blast to listen to! What a band!
a bunch of friends and i went to see tortoise, the sea and cake and 5ive style back when 'millions now living' came out. obviously we were going to see tortoise and had no idea who 5ive style were. we got there early, place is practically empty, we wonder right up front, these 4 unassuming dudes shuffle out on stage AND PROCEED TO LAY WASTE TO THE ENTIRE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE. i think they played the whole first record. we were right in front of bill and were all just speechless...the other guys are great too, but watching bill play guitar is just a jaw-dropper.

i would be happy to trade you a bunch of good music for a copy of that bootleg!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:07 pm

I'm pretty sure 5Style has Johnny "Machine" Herndon on drums, no?

I had the great pleasure of jamming with him a couple of times in the early '90's when he was in, and just leaving, Precious Wax Drippings; befoir joining The Poster Children.

I recall he had this small diameter, really deep kick drum, like a cannon; very cool.

Definitely one of the best musicians I ever played with...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Bad Company

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 am

vvv wrote:I'm pretty sure 5Style has Johnny "Machine" Herndon on drums, no?
yessir. although i think at some point ryan rapsys started playing with them instead. can't go wrong with either of those dudes.

gregc
pluggin' in mics

Post by gregc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:51 pm

How about The Who, Live at Leeds, etc.?

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Joy Division

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 pm

The Last Waltz
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

tony_tomlinson
gettin' sounds

Post by tony_tomlinson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:50 am

Any time John Lee Hooker strapped it on and stomped his feet. Otis Rush on Cobra, early BB King (1950s) where his vocal mic also served as the guitar mic - some stuff you can hear the engineer ride the faders. Johnny Guitar Watson (on Modern, RPM, or Keen), Gatemouth on Peacock... this could go on forever.

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:01 am

Tony.....cant believe that I left out John Lee!!!!!!!!
I WORSHIP him. How many open mic's has anyone been to that has anyone even APPROACHING accompaniing themselves the way that John Lee did. I've been playing for EVER and there is no way I can work the riff and lyric for "Boogie Chillun'"at the same time. I've been doing that number since I was 14 and STILL can't do it right. If anyone here is into John Lee, check out "High Sheriff" and "Stockholm Blues" by Tony Joe White. Also the BEST improvisational performer ever to walk this earth Lightnin' Hopkins.
Oh yeah and also that Bob Johnson fellow that Ralph Macchio was into!!! :)
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am

And John Lee reminds me of the White Stripes.

I guess. :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gorilla
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Gorilla » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:05 am

Seems a lot of people are confusing one guitar and one guitarist. Even stuff that sounds like one guitar (eg the early van halen) may not be a single track of guitar

Of course many live power trio albums have one guitar player and bands that recorded live in the studio with a single guitar player often have one guitar (common in jazz).

But in the studio Hendrix and Cream often have more than one guitar on a song, even its just a second guitar part for a solo in Cream stuff. Also a lot of Hendrix stuff has things like indistinguishable pianos used to thicken a guitar part etc. -- I know its not guitar, but you aren't just hearing a solo guitar either.

Same is true of Black Sabbath -- the first record is primarily one guitar (some overdubs) and was recorded in two days. Then later albums have keyboards mixed low -- I've even heard Ozzy say that for years he toured with a keyboard player off stage, because keyboards had so little credibility with rock/metal fans.
Gorilla

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Gorilla wrote: I've even heard Ozzy say that for years he toured with a keyboard player off stage, because keyboards had so little credibility with rock/metal fans.
Yeah, thank goodness Night Ranger came along and changed all that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/