U47-ish Overhead Suggestions Please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:26 am

fossiltooth wrote:Sorry dude. I think Stones records sound like ass and Zeppelin records are the cats meow. A man's entitled to his (bold and arrogant) opinion. I ain't takin' it back.

It's not that I think I'm so great, and that I can make better sounding records than the stones....

I think tasteful kids in their mother's basements can make better sounding records than The Stones on their MBoxes. Seriously.

Yes, I know I've cracked open a can of worms. Flame away Stones-Lovers!

Incidentally, I'm not saying that The Stones Suck. I just don't think they're the holy grail of 'recording technique'.
I am glad someone will post opinions like this.
I will take it one more step: anyone can make a record that SOMEONE will like better than some other record.
That is the amazing certainty of what we do. I could use one mic aimed away from the band and there would be SOME person that loves it more than any other record! I have had it happen! Pick the thing you hate the most in your credits list and I bet there is at least one person that LOVES that song/mix/record out there.
That is why it is so crucial to be true to yourself in this biz.
Do what you think "best" is and make the damn record. Deciding on a good kick drum sound via internet "committee" is such a revolting concept to me, and thankfully, most people.
Make the record YOU want to hear. chances are SOMEONEwill think it is great.

its worse to be medium.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 am

I heard a brilliant thing from one of my favorite songwriters one time. he told me that there are three things you can say about every song:

1. Someone's gonna hate it.

2. Someone's probably going to like it.

3. Every song is better than "Muskrat Love."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 am

Thats why i think bad record reviews are just as good and entertaining as the good reviews. If someone has taken the time to dislike it and write out reasons why, then I must be doing something right. If EVERYONE liked it, then there would be a problem.

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:52 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:Sorry dude. I think Stones records sound like ass and Zeppelin records are the cats meow. A man's entitled to his (bold and arrogant) opinion. I ain't takin' it back.

It's not that I think I'm so great, and that I can make better sounding records than the stones....

I think tasteful kids in their mother's basements can make better sounding records than The Stones on their MBoxes. Seriously.

Yes, I know I've cracked open a can of worms. Flame away Stones-Lovers!

Incidentally, I'm not saying that The Stones Suck. I just don't think they're the holy grail of 'recording technique'.
I am glad someone will post opinions like this.
I will take it one more step: anyone can make a record that SOMEONE will like better than some other record.
That is the amazing certainty of what we do. I could use one mic aimed away from the band and there would be SOME person that loves it more than any other record! I have had it happen! Pick the thing you hate the most in your credits list and I bet there is at least one person that LOVES that song/mix/record out there.
Do what you think "best" is and make the damn record. Deciding on a good kick drum sound via internet "committee" is such a revolting concept to me, and thankfully, most people.

its worse to be medium.
I never said that the stone records were " sonic bliss " Or what ever the hell you are thinking
Sure some of the stones songs sonically blow but the drums on honkey tonk woman and monkeyman and the guitar on cant you hear me knocking . This whole kid with Mbox in basement is absurd . And seriously these last few posts are a laugh .

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 pm

gevermil wrote:
joel hamilton wrote: I am glad someone will post opinions like this.

its worse to be medium.
I never said that the stone records were " sonic bliss " Or what ever the hell you are thinking
Sure some of the stones songs sonically blow but the drums on honkey tonk woman and monkeyman and the guitar on cant you hear me knocking . This whole kid with Mbox in basement is absurd . And seriously these last few posts are a laugh .
That's funny. I was actually just thinking how Joel, Chris, and trodden's recent posts in this thread were among the truest (and most diplomatic) posts I've read recently. (Unlike my posts in this thread, which are admittedly nothing but opinionated BS!)

I think your reaction to "the last few posts" just goes to doubly prove their basic point: you can work hard to put out some cool sh*t, and some people will think it's just sh*t!
idealfreedistribution wrote:Funny, I think those Stones records sound brutal, honest, and fantastic. Also, Andy Johns was engineering a lot of Stick Fingers and Exile on Main Street AND he also did of the Led Zeppelin catalog! Seems the same bozo was doing the mic placement and setting up the gear for both!
Oops. My bad...

...I guess the stones really do suck afterall! :wink:

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm

" Make the record YOU want to hear. chances are SOMEONEwill think it is great. "

Of course ! Im not arguing with that . :roll:
Thats a simple given .
Its your dumb remarks that I debate .
But , whatever . apples oranges .