Mixing on a Board without Automation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Al_Huero wrote:
trodden wrote:I mix out of PT on my topaz.

pencil and paper are what I use for recalling settings.
Thanks for that. After looking at the tape/marking potential and snapping a few photos, I figured that's the best approach for me as well. I put together a little 16-ch track sheet to help organize it.
use a word processor/page maker to create a template of what YOU need(track info, plug ins and settings, mic and pre amp, etc.) and then another for mix board settings/outboard as well. It will different for everyone, and I really need to update mine.. each time i use them i find a new idea for the next version.. Each song has these sheets and these sheet are kept in the file for each project or band, depending, with one of these

for more notes, references, invoiceswhatever...

and i organize those in a file cabinet.

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:00 pm

i regularly use the 'comments' field in protools to keep track of signal chains etc.

what we really need is the ability to link a digital image to the comments field, so you can take a photo of the settings, and store it in the session file itself.

but that just perpetuates our reliance on protools, and i guess the point is to move away from that.

c.mfdu
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 pm

If you have extra tracks try printing stems back to PT. You should have open inputs anyway and you can just mute the outputs while recording. I do this all the time. Makes recall easy and tweaking is easy.

Mike

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Al_Huero wrote:

Thanks for that. After looking at the tape/marking potential and snapping a few photos, I figured that's the best approach for me as well. I put together a little 16-ch track sheet to help organize it.
As an aside, Mackie manuals have a diagram on the last page that's a top-down view of 8 mixer channels. Photocopy a bunch of these if you're using a Mackie mixer and document your settings. If not using a Mackie mixer, there may also be such diagrams in your manual, or you may need to create one yourself. Also, the front panel diagrams from the operating manuals for outboard gear boxes can be scanned/photocopied/copied by hand by monks so you can document your settings there as well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:59 am

dwlb wrote:
Al_Huero wrote:

As an aside, Mackie manuals have a diagram on the last page that's a top-down view of 8 mixer channels. Photocopy a bunch of these if you're using a Mackie mixer and document your settings. If not using a Mackie mixer, there may also be such diagrams in your manual, or you may need to create one yourself. Also, the front panel diagrams from the operating manuals for outboard gear boxes can be scanned/photocopied/copied by hand by monks so you can document your settings there as well.

A good way to get goood copies, is to do a medium resolution photo (at 150 dps) and then use some photo editing program to edit it inot a black + white copy, so you can change the contrast and grayscale to best print the copy.

While in the photo editor, you can erase the markers on knobs like EQ and pan, and make those white on top, if they are not, so you can write on top of the knob itself.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.