Cans du jour

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

puffin
audio school

Post by puffin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:23 am

I'd have to agree with Chris Garges. I have a pair of HD280s and the band that goes over your head cracked at one side, then a piece of the plastic came off; then the same on the other side. I've had them since around 2006 for audio school and they still work fine despite the breakages.

If I was using them on a daily basis in a studio, they most likely wouldn't last the year.

I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones and think I'll most likely buy another set of these. They sound great and I know them well enough to make trackng decisions through them when doing location recording and have no nearfields available. I just wish some of the parts were a bit more replaceable... like the DT100's

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 pm

I have a pair of RP-40s that I used for years, until i couldn't take the pressure they put on my pinna anymore. Murderously painful after an hour or so. Plus, I found them to be really lifeless and I'd have to crank everything to get over top of anything that was going on in the room.

And then I picked up a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7s (http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... 0000005702).

Happy day! They're not by any means a traditional set of studio phones, but for my money ($75 CAD) they're the best sounding things I've used in a while. They're a little bouncy down around the 100Hz range, and the high end can be a smidge sharp depending on what kind of mood you're in. Aside from that they're super light-weight, the isolation is fantastic, and they sit around your ears in stead of on them. Big fan of that.

I've only had them a few months, so I don't know how they do with wear and tear, but the isolation is good enough that you really don't have to turn up that loud, even when recording drums.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 am

Another m50 vote here. I can't live without my ATH-M50 phones. So damn comfortable too.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 am

Sorry to reveive an old thread,but I was just wondering how the AT M-50's
durability,seeing as they've been available for a while. Any new contenders with similar isolation,without being too expensive? I have a gisnt head,so long term comfort/reliability is very important. Thanks much! Eric
I am the Walnut

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 am

i used to use a pair of sennheiser hd280, but i didn't like the bass response. i now use a pair of vintage 70's pioneer monitor 10 headphones, they are great! nice even response across the spectrum, great for mixing :)

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

I've got Grado SR80's open back, Sony 7506, and Sennheiser HD 280's here, and I bought a pair of the Shure 440's for my wife for voice overs. Then I bought a pair of 440's for my daughter cause she's in the Air Force and will be flying the world once she's done with her training. They both smile when they put them on, so do I. I'm trying to decide if the new 940's would be worth the extra cash? Not many reviews of them yet, but the 440's were new when I bought my wife's, and I think they are way better than the ones I listed or any of my talent cans.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:46 am

I love, love, love my AKGK701s. The only phones i've ever really loved and they're actually comfortable on by big ears. Now that AKG has the K702s with replacable cables i'd probably choose those instead.

The AKGs stomp all over my ATH-M50's IMHO.