Help me choose an appropriate reverb unit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 am

substitute wrote:Chris, thanks so much for posting the links, obviously it's hard for me to separate what's mic technique, actual room, and added reverb but it does help provide some context.
Thanks! Yeah, to me, that's the beauty of the 780. It can be extremely natural-sounding and integrates well with ambient miking, even in small rooms. Most of the stuff was recorded with the drums in a 16x19 room with 9-foot ceilings. And a lot of times, I send the ambient mics to an artificial reverb, which I think helps the integration of the effect. The shorter verbs in the R7 are like that, although they start getting grainy-sounding if you lengthen the decay time. The 780 doesn't seem to do that. Some of that Belmont Playboys stuff has a bit of extra artificial noise to it because I tuned the room mics down a few clicks with an H3000.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:05 pm

I picked up a Dynacord DRP 15 this afternoon. Not a lot of info out there but people compared it to the nicer lexicon units so I figured I'd give it a try. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but so far so good. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I think it sounds very natural, clean, but not at all glossy or hyped. It seems like it's natural state is pretty subtle, meaning most of the presets aren't fireworks, which is probably a good thing. I don't have a manual yet, but I'm not sure one is necessary. Tweaking the presets was really easy, and they can definitely get pushed into GIANT FX territory. Neato

Some of that Belmont Playboys stuff has a bit of extra artificial noise to it because I tuned the room mics down a few clicks with an H3000.
Cool, I'll have to listen for that.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I love the DRP-15 and have one of those, too. I don't think it sounds anything at all like a Lexicon. It's a very unique piece.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:14 am

Oh Internets, well that's good to know. I think the dynacord will keep me covered for now but if I come across a lexicon I can't pass up, well I won't pass it up.