A wiki Recording encyclopedia

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

How interested are you in a wikiRecording?

The idea sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand it.
No votes
I understand the idea, but I think its useless and stupid
3%
I understand the idea and I think it would be useful.
63%
I understand the idea and I want to write articles for it.
33%
I don't understand the idea, but it sounds interesting and useful anyway!
3%

Total votes: 40

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:27 pm

I hear ya on all that, Prof. My day job is making books, and even the big boys disagree on points of style, and in the long run the only thing that really matters is whether or not you got your point across. English is such a hodgepodge language it's really funny to watch people get into arguments over what is right or wrong.

The American Heritage Dictionary is sort of a popular culture-driven dictionary. They have surveys they run in the language areas that words are being used and hundreds of contributing writers from all fields, so they might be lacking experts in the area of sound reproduction. For what it's worth, I have seen mic'd, miked and mic'ed pretty often, but don't recall seeing "miced."

Once again, if an article was about recording something and it said "miced" I wouldn't assume it meant dressing up like a small furry animal (unless we were talking about recording Flaming Lips, of course.)
not to worry, just keep tracking....

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

Post by cdbabel » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:00 pm

Randy wrote:I hear ya on all that, Prof. My day job is making books, and even the big boys disagree on points of style, and in the long run the only thing that really matters is whether or not you got your point across. English is such a hodgepodge language it's really funny to watch people get into arguments over what is right or wrong.

The American Heritage Dictionary is sort of a popular culture-driven dictionary. They have surveys they run in the language areas that words are being used and hundreds of contributing writers from all fields, so they might be lacking experts in the area of sound reproduction. For what it's worth, I have seen mic'd, miked and mic'ed pretty often, but don't recall seeing "miced."

Once again, if an article was about recording something and it said "miced" I wouldn't assume it meant dressing up like a small furry animal (unless we were talking about recording Flaming Lips, of course.)
Good Call!
-E Jeff Einowski
WikiRecording@cdbabel.com
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org
Promoting Community in Music

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

Universal Audio

Post by cdbabel » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 pm

I sent an email to Universal Audio a couple of days back, asking them for permission to use information on their site.

I'm pleased to say that they responded, giving the OK as long as they are properly cited and we link back to them (which is standard practice anyway.)

Much thanks to UA!
-E Jeff Einowski
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org

cdbabel
gettin' sounds

Hard to write articles

Post by cdbabel » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Yesterday, I put up one of the first articles on a subject that is fundamentally subjective. Its called "How to Approach Panning."

http://www.wikirecording.org/index.php? ... g&rcid=584

Its got my basic outline at the moment of a theoretical way to using panning to make a mix sound like a live concert.

The problem is, there are many other ways to think about panning and its silly for there to be just one in the article. So here's yet another call to arms! How do YOU approach panning? Write it up!

We're starting to get good press, so if you've ever wanted something you've written to be read, this is probably a good time to start.
-E Jeff Einowski
Editor in Chief
www.cdbabel.com
www.wikirecording.org