Reaper...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm

The stillwell audio plugins work perfect for me, on mac. I'm pretty sure I'm using the vst versions.

bigbassape
audio school

Post by bigbassape » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:55 pm

started using reaper around v. 1.4. been using it exclusively since v.2 came out. No complaints. Effiecient, intuitive, and very flexible.

g
Welcome to Sh*t Creek. (paddles $50.00)

JonnyHomes
audio school

Post by JonnyHomes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm

I've just started to use Reaper and I really like it. I've tried Cubase, Vegas, Pro Tools, Nuendo, and others and I'm pretty sure Reaper is my favorite because it's easy to learn (intuitive) and there don't appear to be any limitations on how I can use it.

I love how fast it starts up.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm

just for fun I downloaded it today to play around with some rehearsal recordings I did last night. I wanted to get a feel for how it's progressed since I last dinked around with it a couple years ago.

I love how fast it is to download, install, get playing...I was up and running in less than 5 minutes, including the time to google their site.

First impressions are that it's got some nice UI improvements (fx bins / routing options) that weren't as obvious before, but I'm just scratching the surface with it.

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm

I use the various forms of Pro Tools on a daily basis for work, but I've been learning Reaper in my free time. I just wanted to see if it was decent. Reaper freakin' rocks my socks off. It's not just decent, it's very nice. The metering in Reaper is like 100% more practical than Pro Tools 7. PT 8 has better metering now, but I'm still on 7!
-Chris D.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:41 am

Anybody else have problems with a significant track count in Reaper? I've tried a session with 42 tracks on two different systems and can't get it to stop glitching.

The PC I run it on has a 10,000 RPM data drive exclusively for datafiles. I notice the Reaper buffer settings are non-intuitive and too complex for the system?

The beauty of Pro Tools is that it stays out of the way while I work. Reaper seems like its always in my face.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:42 am

@?,*???&? wrote:I notice the Reaper buffer settings are non-intuitive and too complex for the system?
What do you mean by too complex "for the system"?

I've never used Reaper, so I don't know how they handle buffer settings.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:13 am

42 tracks shouldn't cause a choke on a relatively decent system. I know there were some people complaining vocally in the Reaper forums because they were having problems running >96 tracks, and IIRC the programmers changed their buffering to make this easier, but that was probably a year ago.

Check the reaper performance meter and see if there's are some particular tracks that are hogging the CPU. I know that certain third party VST plugins don't play well with any host with a multi-core processor if there is more than one instance running in a project.

The Reaper v3 public beta just became available, You might want to try it, especially if you're on a Mac, apparently the new native graphics rendering engine is especially helpful for OS X. See http://www.landoleet.org/

And you'll find a lot of helpful people at the reaper forum if you want some more in depth assistance: http://reaper.fm/forum.php

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 pm

darjama wrote:42 tracks shouldn't cause a choke on a relatively decent system. I know there were some people complaining vocally in the Reaper forums because they were having problems running >96 tracks, and IIRC the programmers changed their buffering to make this easier, but that was probably a year ago.

Check the reaper performance meter and see if there's are some particular tracks that are hogging the CPU. I know that certain third party VST plugins don't play well with any host with a multi-core processor if there is more than one instance running in a project.

The Reaper v3 public beta just became available, You might want to try it, especially if you're on a Mac, apparently the new native graphics rendering engine is especially helpful for OS X. See http://www.landoleet.org/

And you'll find a lot of helpful people at the reaper forum if you want some more in depth assistance: http://reaper.fm/forum.php
PC is a 2.8 GHz gaming machine. The second hard drive is more than adequate for such dedicated use.

The plugins aren't a factor as the behavior happens just after import of the audio and there are no plugins instantiated.

The glitching is definitely behaving as if it were a buffering problem. I am running version 5.x of Reaper for Windows XP.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Okay, imported files, that's a clue. Does the sample rate of the imported files match the sample rate of the project? If not, then sample rate conversion would be done by Reaper on the fly. that could cause your computer to choke.

I'd make sure you're running the most recent version of reaper, which is 2.58 I believe.

henge
studio intern

Post by henge » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Anybody else have problems with a significant track count in Reaper? I've tried a session with 42 tracks on two different systems and can't get it to stop glitching.

The PC I run it on has a 10,000 RPM data drive exclusively for datafiles. I notice the Reaper buffer settings are non-intuitive d too complex for the system?

The beauty of Pro Tools is that it stays out of the way while I work. Reaper seems like its always in my face.
No problems running high track and plug counts here.FX run around 100 ( no need to render) with about 50 to 80 tracks.Ahh the luxery of quad core power!!
Anton Evans
Reaper, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600, Soundtoys, BFD2, Pod X3, Fender Vibro Champ, CSR, Smith CR5G, HS80m's, KRK, Stillwell Plugs

http://www.antonevans.com
[url]

sstillwell
audio school

Post by sstillwell » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 pm

ipressrecord wrote: ? Stillwell Audio Units: If I want to use the Stillwell plugs with the graphic interface that I use in Digital Performer, they work. Save a project with them in it, re-open the project, they do not pass sound. I have to delete them, reinstate them, and then they pass. But once you close the session and reopen, same problem.

Are the Stillwell plugs that are included with Reaper the real deal? Or are they older versions of the Stillwell stuff? Not sure why the Stillwell AUs that I use in Digital Performer will not work in Reaper.

Any ideas/experience with any of this?

More to come...

Jeff
Make sure you download the latest versions of the plugins (current version of my plugs is 1.52.05). I have tested in Reaper 3 beta 1, and in DP 6.02, as well as Logic 8.02, and all is well so far. Only known issue is that plugin settings saved in projects are not portable across PPC/Intel systems. We're workin' on that.

There was a known issue with occasional dropouts of audio in Logic, but that's been fixed for a few months, if I remember right.

Regards,

Scott
Stillwell Audio

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:51 am

Welcome to the board, Scott!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:39 pm

About to take the plunge with Reaper v3.2. Wish me luck!

(BTW: version 3 is out)

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 pm

You'll enjoy it kayagum - version 3 of Reaper has much better eye candy, and some things (like folders within folders) are very cool!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."