Black Lion Audio MOTU 828 mk II MOD? Anyone Have one?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:17 pm

i just got mine back. first, it was done crazy fast. i have yet to run any serious tests on it. i have some mix's i did. outside of the box, though my mixer recorded with the 828 before. and so im gonna sum/mix/record them again, and check it out.
just listening to play back. i can't tell for sure, because i can't A/B it with an unmodded version. [though i might be able to arrange it? hmm]
anyways. all i have to say are generic things. like, the sound seems more focused. the highs are sharper, sounds seem to hit better. and the bass seems more focused.
i feel sort of lame saying those "catch phrase"y kind of things. but its the only way i can think of discribing it. it doesn't seem like there is MORE detail. the sounds just seem to be more what i want them to sound like. if thats right or not i can't say.
things just sound bigger on my setup, to me now.. that was my impression when i first plug it in. witch is probably the right one. before all the second guessing.

i'd love to be able to compare it to a unmodded 828mkII, and a rosetta 800..
but i have neither now. :shock:

panda

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Fri May 12, 2006 11:07 am

Well, I was very pleased with the results of Matt's mod on the analog stage of the 828 mkII that I sent him. A friend of mine has a stock 828 mkII that I was able to compare it to not just in playback but also for recording. Wow, what a difference. I did some recordings with each, same signal path, just changing the sound card and the difference was very obvious. The built in Mic Pres were the most changed and are now some of my favorite colorless pres, they are very neutral rahter than sluggish like they were before. Overall I was very pleased. Recently, however, I saw that he was also offering a clock mod to improve timing accuracy from 120 ps to under 10! I had to have it since the clock had quickly become the limiting factor of the 828 post-Analog-stage-mod. Its in his hands now and I should have it back soon. I can't wait to hear it because the one time I clocked the MOTU externally (to a Cranesong HEDD) it was a richer, tighter sound than the even the Pro Tools HD at the same clock rate. This seemingly ordinary MOTU of mine sure will be quite a secret weapon. I will try to get some sound samples up once i get my new clock mod back!

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.