Haunted Recording Studios

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 pm

SoulOfJonas wrote:i forget how i heard about this studio a couple years ago but I can't see how this place couldn't be haunted.

http://www.myspace.com/thefuneralhomestudio

I want to do a session there so bad but alas i am in NJ and haven't got the cash to go record out of state (yet).

-JV
I've always thought a funeral home would be a great place to build a studio.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 pm

The most actively-haunted studio in which I've ever worked was located next to a funeral home and across the street from a cemetery.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 am

*wonders what H. P. Lovecraft would've written about a haunted recording studio*
"It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude. I found it in the glare of mid-afternoon, in the clangour of a metropolis, and in the stuffy midst of a shabby and commonplace control room with a prosaic studio manager and two stalwart men by my side. In the spring of 1993 I had secured some dreary and unprofitable assisting work in the city of New York; and being unable to pay any substantial rent, began couch surfing from one cheap B room to another in search of a place which might combine the qualities of decent cleanliness, endurable furnishings, and a patchfield unsullied by coffee and chewing gum. It soon developed that I had only a choice between different evils, but after a time I came upon a console in West Fourteenth Street which disgusted me much less than the others I had sampled."
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 am

you left out the phrase "eldritch horror."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:04 am

dwlb wrote:you left out the phrase "eldritch horror."
that comes later when the "talent" starts "singing".
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:11 am

nerds, the lot of you.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:52 am

i mastered a record that was recorded and mixed there and it sounded GREAT...

fatcatholic
audio school graduate

Post by fatcatholic » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm

cgarges wrote:
Shawn1272 wrote:And the devil wears Nike, not adidas.
Well then I am most certainly NOT the devil because I'm a die-hard Chuck Taylor guy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Guess who owns Converse these days...

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:19 pm

My first real studio gig was Headfirst Media in Louisville, KY....
Old factory building complete with stories of people falling into machinery and shit...
When I first started I had lied that I had any experience wt ProTools, so I would try and stay after the session to learn shit.... around 1:30 / 2:00 AM everytime, I would hear heavy footsteps in the hall outside...

Got pretty freaked one night and locked up... At the bottom of the stairs, right at the door to outside I definitely smelled B.O. and felt a presence behind me I froze pretty hard there for a few seconds, worked up the nerve to turn around and nothing was there. I was totally 100% in "theres a homeless man 1 foot behind me" mode.

I dont believe in ghosts, but that was weird as fuck.

A asked the other engineers, and they said "yeah, of course" but surely they could have been fucking with me. They were really into that.

Ooh Ooh Aah Aah!!!!

-Jake

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:18 pm

actually, HP Lovecraft did write a horror story that involved audio tech of the day, "The Statement of Randolph Carter."

Concerned a scientist who brought some other scientists to a necropolis and let them wait above ground with his new audio tech, while he (connected to the device by wires) went down into the earth:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lo ... ndolph.htm

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:12 pm

cfMC wrote:actually, HP Lovecraft did write a horror story that involved audio tech of the day, "The Statement of Randolph Carter."

Concerned a scientist who brought some other scientists to a necropolis and let them wait above ground with his new audio tech, while he (connected to the device by wires) went down into the earth:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lo ... ndolph.htm
it was pretty much a field telephone, right?

i like that story, tho "The Shunned House" continues to be my favourite.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:32 am

among my faves are

The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward
Rats in the Walls
Herbert West, Re-Animator
Dagon
The Strange High House in the Mist

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:08 pm

more stories, anyone?

i have a box of reels i bought at various estate sales...i wonder what is on those?

i one one of them is full of what sounds like someone playing a violin with a hacksaw.

something to thread up for the trick or treaters!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 pm

Halloween bump.

CG

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Great thread!

I see the "shadow people" pretty regularly, and always have...

Anyway, once in 2006, in the middle of an experimental instrument orchestra session at the loft where I lived and worked and e.i.o. did all our building, "rehearsal", and recording, I saw a ghost walk, well float, really, his apparition sort of faded away around the knees, across the room on the other side of Mark in the middle of a song. It was kind of unsettling, but I sure as hell didn't want to stop playing, we were on a roll of pretty good improv and I didn't want to break it. That building is at least 1880's, maybe older, and strange things happened fairly frequently, like a toy keyboard that would play itself at random times not only turned off, but once without batteries.

Anyway, I didn't feel like the ghost fella was malevolent in any way, in fact, he seemed like he was into it. he just kinda looked over at us, looked me in the eye with a sort of half-smirk, tipped his head toward me, and faded away as he moved across the room. Now that I think about it, he sort of resembled my grandfather when he was younger...

At any rate, ghostly but not scary. Wasn't Kingsway supposed to be haunted?
I like pie.