Help with picking a transparent guitar Overdrive pedal!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Michael.E
gettin' sounds

Post by Michael.E » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:58 am

I doooo love my hotcake! I'm just trying to change it up a bit.
plus hotcake does dirt really well on my vox, and it's still my fav. OD
and that's going against cochrane timmy, keeley ts-808, freakshow fx
brown rabbit (3-way rat clone), but I like ORIGINAL hotcake not bluesberry.
but that's better for more out and out overdrive, but the prescription is a booster,
only @ 4-5 o'clock you can start dialing in dirt tones. but it's otherwise it's the amp.

anambrose
audio school

How about No Pedal?

Post by anambrose » Wed May 07, 2008 10:25 pm

If you love the way your 68 Super sounds on 7 but want that tone at lower volume then what you might consider is an attenuator. THD Hotplate or Webber Mass or Mini Mass would allow you to run the output tubes cranked but have the volume down at a reasonable level ie coffee house to bedroom. The big deal there is to make sure the impedance is adjustable down to 2 Ohm which if I remember right is the output impedance on the 4x10 Super. You can also try the THD Yellowjacket which is EL84 tubes mounted on a 6L6/5881 socket which will reduce the output also. You swap out the 6L6's for the EL84's on yellowjackets and overdrive those power tubes again at a level that won't induce hearing loss. I sat in a boutique amp room for 4 hours with a guy who had to put his guitar an Anderson thru a Klon Centuar and every amp in the room. Bogner Shiva's, Metropolitans, Bad Cat, Top Hat, Buddha, Dr Z, Ken Fisher, Soldano, Matchless. He had good chops. It Sounded Sterile. The chip used in the original tube screamer had been available again for some time and that chip with all of its limitations seems to be the best at over driving vintage Fenders. So look for a good maker like Fulltone, Keeley that uses good grade components and tweaks that add bass to the JRC 4558 chip which have now almost totally run out. Keeley says they've run out of the 1982 batch.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Wed May 07, 2008 11:04 pm

just because no one's said it:

Bad Bob Booster

the best clean boost I've ever tried, and I've tried nearly all of them. does what the KLON does (at least, in front of a BF/SF Fender) for $130 instead of $350.
get up with it