Does rendering degrade WAV's?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Where are the fucking moderators on this board? I have seen so many bullshit off-topic posts here lately its sickening. You assholes go to gearslutz and play. Leave the real work to us pros. As for the ORIGINAL post, I say that rendering with no effects and no dithering should create an identical track. I have never had problems with this. In short, do what you need to make a project happen. IF in the course of this process you notice degradation then check your settings and try the nulling thing, but I don't see a point in worrying about it if you don't encounter problems.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 pm

jessemesasavage wrote:Where are the fucking moderators on this board? I have seen so many bullshit off-topic posts here lately its sickening. You assholes go to gearslutz and play. Leave the real work to us pros. As for the ORIGINAL post, I say that rendering with no effects and no dithering should create an identical track. I have never had problems with this. In short, do what you need to make a project happen. IF in the course of this process you notice degradation then check your settings and try the nulling thing, but I don't see a point in worrying about it if you don't encounter problems.
That answer is like, so three days ago.

edit: that answer was just sarcastic, not trying to be a dick.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:52 pm

inverseroom wrote:Yeah, definitely, I mean how much of the Beatles' records was "degraded" by bouncing down? We consider that to be "good" degradation, because it's tape, but still.
Well, it's not exactly "good" degradation. It's generation loss and in the analog world one has to do lots and lots of planning ahead and getting levels just right to avoid it as much as possible.

One has to keep an eye on that in digital-land as well, though for different reasons and with different potential results. The process you're embarking on should not be at all problematic, sonically speaking.

but inverseroom also wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:whenever i render a track i save it as 32 bit float, because, well, why not? and they totally null so i've stopped worrying about it.
Spoken by someone with no understanding of what digital is. One wonders why MoreSpaceEcho bothers posting here.
Yeah geez!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!!!! I mean please!!!! Who does he think he is, anyway, somebody people actually like?!!!!?
then inverseroom wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Who is this MoreSpaceEcho guy?
i would be the guy who's still waiting to hear you explain why i don't understand digital recording or know how to use a compressor.
That comment is so hideously oversquashed that I can't even listen to it.

Hey, man, I know you're the OP and it's your thread, but try to keep it on topic, willya? TOMB is no place for bullshit off-topic posts. If I were you I'd be really steamed at myself for not answering the questions I posted. I'd call you an asshole if I didn't think it was a completely uncalled-for, over-the-top reaction to the situation.

I man, damn, son. Don't make me come in swingin' like that. You know I've got no damn sense of humor.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:19 am

No, it's true--I'm such a dick. The weight of this knowledge sometimes makes me too weak to pick up the guitar, let alone render a WAV of me playing it.

If you PM me all your home addresses, I'll mail you the bandwidth I wasted.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 am

jessemesasavage wrote:Leave the real work to us pros.
:rofl:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:51 am

jessemesasavage wrote: I say that rendering with no effects and no dithering should create an identical track.
if you're saving the rendered file as 24 bit you should technically dither it, although it's doubtful any of us could hear the difference at that level (-132dbfs).

i am on fucking topic, suckers.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
jessemesasavage wrote: I say that rendering with no effects and no dithering should create an identical track.
if you're saving the rendered file as 24 bit you should technically dither it, although it's doubtful any of us could hear the difference at that level (-132dbfs).

i am on fucking topic, suckers.
I checked enable dither but I don't know if that means it actually dithered.

Tracks sound good anyhow!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am

jessemesasavage wrote:Where are the fucking moderators on this board? I have seen so many bullshit off-topic posts here lately its sickening. You assholes go to gearslutz and play. Leave the real work to us pros.
hahahah... you're "pro". ahahah

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 am

jessemesasavage wrote:Where are the fucking moderators on this board?
Fuck moderators, we need Congressional oversight of the internet right here.

Wow, it seems like only yesterday that Jeff Robinson was last sacrificed to the gods by the angry villagers -- to insure a good harvest maybe? I should read The Golden Bough so I can understand it better.

And like he doesn't know they're gonna git him when he says that stuff. I guess it's cheaper than paying Mistress Vickie to tie you up and whip you.

And gimme a break, it's not like poor Mr. Echo has never jumped in anybody's shit when he thought they sounded dumb. He's done it to me, in fact. It was no big deal.

Yep, I'm miles off topic. Frankly I no longer give a damn. This is better than pit bull fights in Oakland.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:37 pm

percussion boy wrote: He's done it to me, in fact.
i have? sorry about that! i try to be nice, but sometimes i can't resist playing the Internet Asshole.

let me try and make it up to you.

*rolls fatties and serves chocolate muffins to everyone in thread EXCEPT JEFF*

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 pm

I'd just like to point out that I like cheese. Yum. Thanks, bye.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:I'd just like to point out that I like cheese. Yum. Thanks, bye.
Jarlsberg on crisp bread. Wonderful.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:05 pm

That answer is like, so three days ago.
Wow, so maybe if there wasn't so much noise and so little signal in this thread I would have caught that.
hahahah... you're "pro". ahahah

How exactly am I NOT a pro? Do you know who I am? Are you familiar with my work? Have I been unprofessional with you? If not, then by god stop adding to the noise floor of this thread. I make my living with music and don't have another job.
Finally back on topic myself, please explain this comment. Are you dithering the 24-bit file via a 32-bit float operation back to 24-bit? How would this make any difference over doing a straight 24-bit render? I thought I understood dithering but since I'm such a hack amateur please explain it to me in this context.

I realise that by pointing out the off topic noise, I myself am adding to it, but sheesh someone has to do something here. How about in the future if you have something constructive to say then say it, otherwise shut your fucking mouth? This bullshit infighting scares away the helpful and we all devolve into bickering crap that is better left elsewhere.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:11 pm

jessemesasavage wrote: How exactly am I NOT a pro? Do you know who I am? Are you familiar with my work? Have I been unprofessional with you? If not, then by god stop adding to the noise floor of this thread. I make my living with music and don't have another job.

hahaha "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??!!" lame.

that's great you make your living with music, that must be totally awesome, you are cool and "pro".

*calls waaaaambulance for jesse*

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
percussion boy wrote: He's done it to me, in fact.
i have? sorry about that! i try to be nice, but sometimes i can't resist playing the Internet Asshole.

let me try and make it up to you.

*rolls fatties and serves chocolate muffins to everyone in thread EXCEPT JEFF*
No apology necessary . . . that was kind of the point, if I had one. You, me, Jeff, whoever, we all get feisty here sometimes.

*cyber-inhales*

"Why can't we all . . . GET ALONG?"
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra