What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:55 pm

OK maybe I was hasty in contacting the RCMP... jv can you record a stereo track of a pneumatic drill for me, and cut 2 KHz on the left channel and boost 4 KHz on the right, run it through a loudness maximizer, and post the MP3? Thanks.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:16 pm

I just saw, for $24.95, a stereo GEQ made by MXR sometime in the 1970s - RCA ins and outs - sexy shade of brown - I almost jumped on it and then decided to restrain myself - now this thread is making me rethink my decision again - I really could use something that would turn all my mixes brown -

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:27 pm

jtienhaara wrote:OK maybe I was hasty in contacting the RCMP... jv can you record a stereo track of a pneumatic drill for me, and cut 2 KHz on the left channel and boost 4 KHz on the right, run it through a loudness maximizer, and post the MP3? Thanks.
OK, I'll use the U87 mic I found in the trash.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:44 pm

jv wrote:
jtienhaara wrote:OK maybe I was hasty in contacting the RCMP... jv can you record a stereo track of a pneumatic drill for me, and cut 2 KHz on the left channel and boost 4 KHz on the right, run it through a loudness maximizer, and post the MP3? Thanks.
is that you, Geoff?? :shock:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 pm

jv wrote:
I hope you found 2 of them. I said STEREO.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 pm

jtienhaara wrote:
jv wrote:
I hope you found 2 of them. I said STEREO.
Oh, that's right. I do have another one that I got at a garage sale for $10.

automaticallthetime
audio school graduate

Post by automaticallthetime » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:02 pm

heh i dont know if its dope or not but i bought one a few dayz ago to use it as a rack for my eq20.. Not a bad rack for 5.99.. so thats cool..

automaticallthetime
audio school graduate

Post by automaticallthetime » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:25 pm

oh yeah the 12band silver crap.. Im not that stupid AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

(head)
{shit maybe that fucking eq was the fukin corn in the shiiitt...}

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Ya know - if this was April 1st a 7 page thread like this with people carrying on like some Radio Shack "black face" eq that is somewhere in some garbage dump is the next coming of Sontec would be totally expected. Then again - this is the Tape Op board! - maybe I should expect this anyway.

If I find out that any of youse guys actually pay more than $30 for one of these things, let alone adding two digits to the back of that figure, I will find you and slap sense into you until you cry "Uncle Rupert". I'm not saying that using even the most noisy and f'ed up eq out there can't have its uses for f'in stuff up in a creative way - just that using the words "Realistic" and "Pultec" in the same sentence is pushing it just a wee bit.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 pm

Cellotron wrote:using the words "Realistic" and "Pultec" in the same sentence is pushing it just a wee bit.
So are you saying I can get a Pultec for $3000?!? In STEREO?!?!? Dude, an 1176 isn't a Fairchild 670... And maybe you only deal with the absolute top of the line stuff. But I can't afford $10K for stereo EQ! So how's about you leave me be, and go twiddle your fancy shmancy Pultec knobs.

God some people are so snobby about gear.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:57 pm

jtienhaara wrote:
Cellotron wrote:using the words "Realistic" and "Pultec" in the same sentence is pushing it just a wee bit.
So are you saying I can get a Pultec for $3000?!? In STEREO?!?!? Dude, an 1176 isn't a Fairchild 670... And maybe you only deal with the absolute top of the line stuff. But I can't afford $10K for stereo EQ! So how's about you leave me be, and go twiddle your fancy shmancy Pultec knobs.

yeah, but you're still canadian.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:11 am

Tatertot wrote:I really could use something that would turn all my mixes brown -
that's right....

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:24 am

trodden wrote:
jtienhaara wrote:

yeah, but you're still canadian.
can we WATCH THE LANGUAGE a little?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:38 am

jtienhaara wrote:
So are you saying I can get a Pultec for $3000?!? In STEREO?!?!?
Probably not. But I scored my Medici in awesome shape for all of $1800. I scored a pair of Filtek mkIII modules and had them racked up for less than a g. So 2 great stereo eq's with a heckuva lot more flexibility and proven track record for less than 3g's.

I'm not saying that RatShack isn't capable of making some things of good use. One of their PZM's modded can be a seriously excellent mic for a lot of apps for very little scratch. I have one of their cheapie spl meters that sits on my desk to make sure I'm keeping consistent monitoring levels while I work eq'ing tracks. Heck - even their speaker cable in the wider gauges actually works just as well as Monster stuff that goes for a lot more.

So if you find one of these eq's for less than a hundred I'd say go and ahead and pick it up if you want a fun toy to warp some tracks in a md to lo fi way with - you might even find it useful for some things. Still - any eq with fixed Q for its bands is seriously limited in versatility.

And if you're looking for an eq that you are actually going to put on your 2 buss you need to think of the implications of what that really means - where every single track will go through it - so while the RatShack thing might be able to get your mixes to sound like you recorded them through an ADAT I don't think it will get you anywhere else. There's a ton of great options out there - even a pair of Specks would do you a world of better.
Mainly because a lot of us have been down the road before of wasting money on mediocre stuff that we end up selling for a lot less than we bought it for in order to get the stuff that we should have bought in the first place.

Hey - whatever works for you is great. I'm just saying - this thing ain't worth $3 large let alone $300. If you can score it for $30 though seems like you've got a good find.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jtienhaara
steve albini likes it

Post by jtienhaara » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Thanks Steve. So are you saying this particular RSEQ is only worth $300? Or do you think RSEQs in general are only worth $300?

jv, I know I said I would PayPal you today, but can you hold the unit for me for a few days? I just want to make sure I really know what I'm investing in here.