Does rendering degrade WAV's?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Who are these people and what did they do with my TapeOp messageboard?
well jeff, here we are 7 pages in and you still have yet to say what was so wrong with my initial post.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

mjau wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:I'd just like to point out that I like cheese. Yum. Thanks, bye.
Jarlsberg on crisp bread. Wonderful.
I like goat's milk feta on pizza like a lot. With some fresh basil and fresh tomatoes and spinach. That is the yum.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:26 pm

i believe most DAWs do all their internal calculations at 32 bit float. sonar you can set to do 64 bit float. protools hd does 48 bit fixed. if you have a bitscope you can see what the DAW is doing...
That's correct, as far as bit-depths.

It actually comes back to the underlying processor hardware. Around 2001/2002, PC processors got some very fast 32-bit floating point processing added on (remember Altivec or SSE?). The same stuff that makes for really detailed first-person-shooters can also be used for audio work. So they're screaming fast when it comes to manipulating 32-bit floats.

It's funny - Intel introduces chips with native 64-bit processing, and shortly thereafter, there's a 64-bit Sonar. If the software was designed right, it could have been a one-line change in the source code. (it might be that Sonar did it first because they don't have any users on legacy powerPC hardware...Steinberg and Apple have to keep that in mind)

HD is using Motorola DSPs, which are 48-bit fixed point...again, the hardware is dictating the precision.

The specs for a VST plugin indicate that the audio data passed between the host and plug is in 32-bit float, so any data passed through those plugins will be 32-bit floats on the plugin I/O (but no guarantees what it's doing inside).

Which brings us to the bitscope - since software bitscopes are plugins, they're probably using the data they're handed to draw the bits. The first one I found in a quick web search came from Tobybear.de, and has 32-bit resolution. You could plug it in on a 64-bit channel in Sonar, but it's only going to tell you about the 32-bit data on the VST interface.

And full circle to the original question - it looks like Tobybear.de has a plugin that will save the data it's given into a file. If it can save the 32-bit float stream, by dropping it in at different points on a channel, you could see how different stages in the DAW influence the sound, or compare the edited data to the rendered data.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:27 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
mjau wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:I'd just like to point out that I like cheese. Yum. Thanks, bye.
I like goat's milk feta on pizza like a lot. With some fresh basil and fresh tomatoes and spinach. That is the yum.
Oh hell yes, definitely. Throw on some caramelized onions and you, sir, are in business.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:46 am

mjau wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:
mjau wrote:
Oh hell yes, definitely. Throw on some caramelized onions and you, sir, are in business.
The Greek restaurant business, in fact.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 am

:D

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Hey it's 2008! Whoah. :shock:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

wayne kerr wrote:Hey it's 2008! Whoah. :shock:
sorry for the lack of flying cars.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 pm

RefD wrote:
wayne kerr wrote:Hey it's 2008! Whoah. :shock:
sorry for the lack of flying cars.
no you're not. a**hole!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 am

percussion boy wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
percussion boy wrote: He's done it to me, in fact.
i have? sorry about that! i try to be nice, but sometimes i can't resist playing the Internet Asshole.

let me try and make it up to you.

*rolls fatties and serves chocolate muffins to everyone in thread EXCEPT JEFF*
No apology necessary . . . that was kind of the point, if I had one. You, me, Jeff, whoever, we all get feisty here sometimes.

*cyber-inhales*

"Why can't we all . . . GET ALONG?"
bogart.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue May 19, 2009 2:35 pm

I believe that this has been quite the entertaining read. Thanks! Goodbye!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

woah, blast from the past. this thread is kind of a classic. good work everyone!

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm

ipressrecord wrote:I believe that this has been quite the entertaining read. Thanks! Goodbye!

Jeff
OK! C-ya!
-Hunter S. Thompson