Black Lion Audio MOTU 828 mk II MOD? Anyone Have one?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:18 pm

i wonder why the mod is limited to the firewire stuff? my 2408s and 1224s could use some love
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 pm

OK, resurrecting an old thread to ask...has anyone had this mod done yet (and returned safely to you), and if so, what do you think?

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 pm

I'm taking a shot in the dark and doing it, though I haven't heard any A-B examples. Scheduled for next month.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:28 pm

I'm scheduled in Feb, too. Just curious to get the impressions of those who have had it done.

Which actually brings me to another question. Suppose you get a mod done like this, and then something breaks, not even something necessarily related to the mod. You send it back to MOTU (or whomever) and they see that it's not a stock unit, that someone has changed the hardware inside. What happens? Are you screwed?

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:54 pm

Yep....!

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:29 am

my traveler is with matt right now getting upgraded. i took some before samples of the noisy-ass mic pres with nothing attached so i can compare the hiss levels before and after. i also recorded a few commercial cds from my dvd player into the traveler and i'll make samples of the same recordings when i get it back. i wanted to do some comparisons with the mic pres but i couldn't think of any way to account for all the variables that goes into recording in order to reproduce the same recording two times.

as far as warranty goes, i did wonder about that. i haven't checked my manual but i don't think the traveler comes with a substantially long warranty period. the work that matt does is only upgrading surface components. if these components start to malfunction, i'll send it back to matt, and if there seems to be a problem with the dsp chip then the card will go to motu, who i'll have to pay. i'm just hoping this doesn't happen!

i'll post samples when i get the traveler back if the samples are worth posting.

-jim bob

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Hmmm... I really wish someone would come up with a mod to give my 001 new life... Seriously!

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:39 pm

Well....I look at warranties like this when it comes to today's digital gear. In a month or so ( seems this short of time) the gear will be out-dated anyway. ( My poor,poor Adats.. :oops:. ) ( something better comes along or so we say... :lol: ) It's sitting collecting dust. So if it can be upgraded to perform better NOW...!, I'd say, screw the warranty!... :ar15: ..( YMMV)... :wink:

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:55 am

Just checking: we're on p3 of the thread and nobody's heard this mod yet, right?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:31 am

Either no one has heard it, or anyone who has can't hear any appreciable difference and is too embarrassed to admit it. :lol:

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 am

Results -

Noise floor - When I would bring up a track in Sonar 5 and arm the track before the mod, I would get some wavering noise about-82 to -86db. After the mod - the noise has pretty much dropped off all together.

I have not tried the mic pres (I have some modded PAIA tube pres and an RNP that I use).

The DI inputs in the front are cleaner sounding when used at high gain settings with Guitar/Bass.

The transient response of the output is much better to my ear. Smoother and more detailed.

All of the inputs have been upgraded by Matt and once again, there is a perceptible difference to my ear mostly in the transient response. Less smeared - more focused.

Many of these differences are subjective. I was without my MOTU for quite a while (see my earlier posts). When I got it back and plugged it in, after it warmed up, I listened to it and my previous mixes did sound different to me, and I liked it. I've been selling hi end hifi for 3 years now and know that "Better" is a relative term. You can hear a difference in anything if you really want to. People will spend $500 on an AC cable.

I went for this mod because I felt a little iffy about the sound out of the MOTU for my up coming record. Now I feel confident that it will do the job.

-a

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Can you post a sample clip before and after? Thanks!.... :)

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I got mine back after Matt had it for less than two weeks. I think thats pretty good turnaround. I like his scheduling and pay when its done practice. it must really make stuff move through his shop. Anyway, so I am remixing something that I had recorded entirely on my unmodified 828 mkII. I have mixes from when I mixed in the box and also mixed down through a behringer mixer back to the 828. I am almost done with a new mixdown with the new 828, keeping it all in the box this time. I will post all three versions of the mixes (all identical automation). I like the old mixes, but I LOVE the new ones. The difference is well worth it. Its truly a more professional sound, it has the smoothe airiness that I like about the high end stuff like Radar and Apogee gear. Now, for more indepth A/B comparisons I will have another 828 mkII unmodified soon as a friend is buying one sinc ehe likes mine so much. For the price the mod is unbeleiveable, everyone ont his board should hear an apprecuiable difference.

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:50 pm

I just paid Matt tonight for my Traveler upgrade, and it should be back to me soon (by the way, his price includes return shipping!) I missed this interface while it was gone. I bought a Presonus Firebox to hold me over and it's functionality is nowhere near the Traveler's (although it does have a louder headphone amp).

I'll post before / after samples of the noise floor of the cranked mic pres and some commercial CD's going through the Traveler's A/D when I get it back. I can't wait to hear it based on the previous reports! I'm not sure if Matt is always this quick, but he got my Traveler on the 13th and he finished today, the 17th. That's a great turnaround!

-Jim Bob

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:11 am

He should do mods on the Digi 001.

I am gonna be getting the SM pro8 and have him mod those...