Midrange multi-channel pres

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Midrange multi-channel pres

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:30 am

I'm looking to add another 4 preamp channels. My plan is to go with a Sytek with the Burr-Brown option on all four channels. I already have a Sytek without, so I thought it'd be nice to have the different flavor. I also have a UA 2108 and an MP-2NV. Before I order the Sytek, does anyone have a recommendation for other multi-channel pres in the same ballpark price range as the Sytek (around $1000) I should be checking out?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:24 am

I've got two Syteks, both have the Burr & Burton on channels 3 + 4. The difference is subtle but there's definitely a "smiling, blooming" thing that the modded channels have.

Somewhere there's an exquisite rant about the futility of mid-priced multi-channel pres in this price range, the gist of it being that (with the exception of the Sytek) they're all no better than your basic DMP-3 until you hit the threshold of $1,000/channel. I just submitted a review of the OctoPre LE, which falls into the category of for-the-money($600)-it's-pretty-amazing but not sonically superior to the Syteks--but it does have a cool "patch-bay" set-up where it's easy to route line signals in. And of course it's eight channels at once, in a single rackspace, so lots of advantages but not any breakthrough jaw-dropping leave-your-wife quality sound.

For $1,000 you could get two Grace 101's, single channel unit but for me that's a big big big advance in clarity and accuracy and phase honesty. Hope this helps!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:06 am

Oh, I've seen the rants! If I had the money, I'd be getting a lunchbox of API 512's, a 4-channel John Hardy M-series, or something. But the reality of my current budget says I can't afford those, so I'm trying to limit the amount of debt I'm gonna take on. I need to avoid selling my kid into slavery, yet still get something I might want to use in 5 years. So it'll probably be the Sytek. Just thought I'd ask before in case I was missing out on something else great in that price range.

Madguitrst
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Madguitrst » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:49 am

I love my Sytek and don't consider it a mid preamp at all.
It's pretty close up there with the big boys IMO.
In fact, although it's not quite as perectly transparent as the very best, it fits extremely well for my mics and my voice.

Still I wouldn't recommend you get another four channels.
I'd recommend you get channels 3 and 4 of yours fitted with the BB.
Then I'd think you should get one of those truly accurate preamps because it's the one thing you don't have. Well, at least if you're recording any acoustic instruments.

I think the Grace is a good recommendation and about the only thing in it's league that fits into your budget.

For a little more there's the Hardy.
Mellenia is still the gold standard.
You might also fins an original Great River used.

I recently got two Chameloan Labs 7602 preamps and they are very good....downright awesome for the money. But you already have some Neve-ish flavor.

Anyway, good luck with your choices.
The Madguitrst has left the building.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:54 am

my Hill mixer preamps sound very close to the Sytek..but I got 16 for 100$..(unbalanced direct outs)..there is a useable eq pre channel also..100Hz, 1000Hz, and 10kHz..I put Burr Brown opa2604 amps in there on some channels..I like the BB channels better than stock on the eq amps..the mic amps its a matter of taste between the stock 5532's or the BB's..the ic's are socketed in 8dip fasion of the plug in variety so there is no soldering involved there..I think its worth a listen at least..

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:06 am

Madguitrst wrote:I recently got two Chameloan Labs 7602 preamps and they are very good....downright awesome for the money. But you already have some Neve-ish flavor.
Just got one of those, too. Really nice...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:11 am

Think application first, then get the gear to do the application.

Are you looking for different flavors? Then get a couple of single channel preamps with different personalities. Or get a couple of different microphones, just for fun. Even a $50 635a could spice things up.

Are you frustrated with not having enough channels to record an entire band in one take? 8 channels of Sytek doesn't suck. Neither does a couple of RNPs, a Presonus M80 or even a Yamaha digital mixer (ask Andy Hong).

Are you bored and trying to fill a void in your life? That's off-topic :wink:

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:38 am

Good point. The most likely application for the additional pres will be on drums.

Right now I have 8 ins to my DAW (MOTU 896HD), and enough preamps to cover those 8 ins (2 UA 2108, 2 MP-2NV, and 4 Sytek). But I just got another MOTU 896HD, so I'll now have 16 ins. I'm looking to add another set of pres to cover at least some of those ins.

(BTW, I don't use a board. I'd rather spend the money on good pres than a mediocre board. Gives me more options, and hopefully higher quality than I'd get from any board that I could afford.)

So anyway...with only 8 ins I found myself a little limited when tracking drums. You do a pair of overheads, kick, snare, and 3 or 4 toms and you're done. I record mostly hard rock and metal, so close micing everything is pretty much a given. I want the flexibility to throw a second mic on the kick or snare, put up some room mics, aux percussion, whatever. Plus whatever's left can be given to the other band members to throw down reference tracks while the drummer is recording.

Given that, the most likely use of any new pres I get will be for drum mics of some sort. And now that I've come to that realization, maybe the Burr Brown op amps on the Sytek aren't the best choice? I remember seeing somewhere that the stock op amps sounded better on drums. Or maybe I'm on crack...do I sound like a total newbie yet?

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:33 pm

Have you ever thought about buying a rack that fits the 500 series API, Brent Averill, OSA, Purple Audio, Shadow Hills stuff? That way you spend a little over $1000 up front for a rack and one pre (OSA 11 space rack is $699 and they have two different pres for $450)... and then you can build from there.

Josh

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:23 pm

Madguitrst wrote:I recently got two Chameloan Labs 7602 preamps and they are very good....downright awesome for the money. But you already have some Neve-ish flavor.
Never heard of these please tell me more.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Madguitrst
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Madguitrst » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:51 am

The Chameleon Labs 7602 is a Chinese made Neve clone.
It's very well made as far as I can tell, sounds very good and is affordable.

Model 7602 - $699.00

CPS-1-$100 (required) image

The channel strip your father used.
The 7602 is based on designs that have stood the test of time and built with the budget conscious in mind.
This Classic design features a DI, Phantom Power, 3 Band EQ, Phase Reversal, and Mic/Line Inputs.

The EQ Section contains the following:

Filter- This is a high pass filter with 3db loss at 300Hz, 160Hz, 80Hz, and 50Hz with an 18db cut per octave slope.

Low Equalization - This section has a shelving slope with four frequency selections: 220Hz, 110Hz, 60Hz, 35Hz. This equalizer affects the selected frequency and all others below it. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Mid Equalization - This section has a peaking characteristic with six frequency selections: 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6k, 3.2k, 4.8k and 7.2k.
The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

High Equalization- This section has a shelving characteristic with five frequency selections: 16k, 12k, 7k, 4.9k and 3.4k .
This equalizer affects the selected frequency and all others above it.
The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Check out their website; they have files comparing the 7602 to a 1073.
Yeah, I know, MP3s and all..........still.............

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/catalog1.htm?
The Madguitrst has left the building.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:44 am

i'll chime in with the obligatory Seventh Circle post...

$169 for the PSU, $300 for the case.

$284 for each api 512 clone, $324 for each neve clone.

just fill er up.

cheaper than the OSA rack and these things sound amazing...
that devil bastard protools

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:03 am

But you do have to build it yourself, right?

--JES

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:25 am

the chameleon lab is awesome. i played around with one a couple of times.