Anyone use/own BOTH the Hamptone JFet+Tube pres?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Anyone use/own BOTH the Hamptone JFet+Tube pres?

Post by centurymantra » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:22 am

OK...it seems, with the support on this forum that this would be an overly covered topic in which the 'use the search function' mantra would need to be repeated. In light of the fact that, after a fair amount of research on various forums (including this one) I haven't really encountered much on this point, I'm not afraid to post a new topic here on 'Gear Talk'.

I'd love to hear some observations and insights from folks that have experience with both pres on different applications. I've been tormenting myself a bit with this decision as I'm just getting ready to purchase one from Hamptone. I was swaying towards the tube, but am starting to think my Sebatron 4-chanel pre and the Groove Tubes Brick might have the tube flavor covered. I also have a Sytek BTW, and I was planning on getting one more pre in the 'clean' camp to finish my pre collection, so the tube Hamptone may still be appropriate.

Anyway...would love to hear what people have to say on this specific topic. I would hope to get the Hamptone that is most versatile and could work well on electric and acoustic instruments (the acoustic application is actually an important one).

That aside, I'm sure both are awesome and I'll have no regrets either way!

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:44 am

I've had both, although my tube was the first gen. LCMP.

The tube is higher fi to my ears...more top and generally more balanced, with a HUGE tranny low end. Really sounds like nothing else I've owned/heard.

The JFET's top doesn't quite compare, although I have yet to find a more practical/usable direct bass sound than the JFET. I'm about to move it to that and toms kind of indefinitely. Probably sound great on elec. guitar too. Just a little wooly on acoustics for me. Not near the brilliance on top that I can get from the A12/N72/Chandler.

kb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 pm

whats the chances of building the tube pre and not getting killed?

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 pm

just curious. i have the tube pre. how does it compare to the other three pres you mentioned? i'm looking for something to complement it...

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:07 pm

I don't know how much help this'll be but....

I do have both though I only had the tube version for a short time. I built it and had a problem with one of the circuit boards so Scott had me send it in to take a looksy. It's now on it's way back to me as I post this.

So....

I DID get to mess with the good channel a bit after owning the JFET for a long time. My band's whole new record was done with that thing (JFET) and we've used it on other records we've worked on as well. It comes off great no matter what I throw at it. Gain structure is everything with the Hamptone stuff (I know, isn't it always?)....but with the Hamptone stuff, there are SO many nuances depending on how you use them....pad on the pre, pad on the mic, double stages, etc. I couldn't be happier with it. As far as acoustic instruments go, we have tracked acoustic guitars, both grungy and clean and it's great either way. The JFET model definitely has what I consider a heavier low-mid range going on....kinda "thumps" on a lot of things....great on snares and rock guitars, etc.

My VERY limited playing around with the tube version had me kind of excited. As described above, it does seem a little more almost "hi-fi" but I don't want to imply that the JFET is "lo-fi" in any way. The tube version had a little more "open air" around it and didn't seem as heavy in the lower mids....it was more that classic tube "sparkly air" thing with a nice balanced low end. I could see acoustic instruments benefitting greatly from what I heard.

They are both great pres from a great guy and neither are likely to let any serious recordist down. I wish I could be a little more help. I can't wait to get it back now!

heylow

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:12 pm

Oh...and one last thing. Above someone mentioned the DI on bass. The DI sections of the pres ARE amazing. I think it was Soundguy Dave who has also said that the DI sections are worth the price of admission alone.

I figured it was worth a mention since so many people want/need a good DI but it's so lame to have to buy one. You get it rolled into to a great package with these things!

heylow

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:26 pm

The DI on the JFET is indeed awesome. I put all my synths, samples, etc. through it now. You don't really notice the difference until mixing time, and then you just can't believe how great everything sounds.

I will have to build the tube one someday...

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:48 pm

trodden wrote:whats the chances of building the tube pre and not getting killed?
:lol: Pretty high. It was my first high voltage project, and if I'd known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have left it on the floor in pile right after I built it. At that time, it didn't come with a box, so I had it in some old wooden thing for awhile, 'til I could find a suitable box for it. Geez, if I'd had a cat or a dog!

I did touch something (probably the filter cap) once, and yes, it knocked me on my ass. Totally crazy sensation. Frightening, but pretty cool, too.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:58 pm

luckybastard wrote:just curious. i have the tube pre. how does it compare to the other three pres you mentioned? i'm looking for something to complement it...
For a short time, I had all three. Honestly, the tube version is really a beast unto itself. I think the A12 would compliment it best if you're looking for contrast. Very forward mids and great top without much mush. I could easily make a rock record with those and never have to labor over the low mids at mixing time. It's got the color of records you listen to, and it's obvious. The tube pre, on the other hand, sounds better than rock records usually. It would be my dream pre for classical, I think.

Not sure that helps. The N72 still comes in handy, even with the tube around, but it's got a very specific character that's pretty easy to recognize. The Chandler (LTD-1) does that character even WAY better (really is night and day).

Hopefully that helps a little.

kb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks for the input guys...much appreciated. Gives me a little food for thought. Been gravitating towards the tube version, but I think the other pre I will be purchasing to round out the studio will be a Davisound and it seems the JFet in this case might be the best decision to match up. Probably still gonna be stewing on it 'til the last second...

Yosh
ass engineer

Post by Yosh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 pm

I have all three (LCMP, HJFP and HVTP). Definitely very different. The LCMP was my first DIY project. Seems to saturate in the 1-1.5k range. Could be that it was due to something I did wrong when building it. On some things though, saturation in that range is just what I'm looking for. I love the JFET--found it wonderful on toms, on dobro and many other things. But I think the HVTP is my favorite. Lately I've been using it on a lot of acoustic instruments (acoustic guitar, violin, cello) as well as vocals and room mics for drums. It's been the perfect complement to my Josephson c42s. When driven a little harder it seems to dirty up that prettiness that I'm not always crazy about with the c42s. I've also used the DI inputs to 'reamp' some parts of my mixes. It can add some really nice crunch which, I'm assuming thanks to the tubes, doesn't have to obviously distort depending on how you set your levels.

-Josh