Ursa Major Space Station...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hiconfidence
audio school graduate

Ursa Major Space Station...

Post by hiconfidence » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:54 pm

I just got a Ursa Major Space Station 282...late 70's multi-tap delay reverb dealy...it even has the original manual! They had one in the first studio i ever worked in and i've wanted one ever since...and it only took 9 years! ha..

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:59 pm

that is the best piece of gear ever made by human hands. treasure it, love it, give it to me.
that devil bastard protools

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:03 pm

The Ursa Major is way cool. It's really more of a multi-delay slap box, but can do small spaces pretty well too. Some units sound better than others. If you get the opportunity, compare yours to one that someone has. I don't know what internal hardware is different, but we had one at Master Control kicked ass. Joe Chiccarelli had come in with his own 2 racks of outboard gear and upon listening to the one he had just bought used and then compared it to ours. We were both surprised at the difference and he quickly unloaded his. That was our first exposure to that sonic difference. I think he sold it to Weezer prior to their getting signed- at least I remember some Weezer transaction when he was in. I may not remember that correctly.

btw, the just got a copy of the pluggo plugin 'north pole' and it has some Ursa Major qualities to it, but alot more filtering capability.

analogcat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analogcat » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:56 am

I love mine, the board is dated 1978. There's more info on them here: http://www.sevenwoodsaudio.com/

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:54 am

The Ursa Major stuff is totally cool and worth searching out. We have the 282 and also it's little brother, the 383. The 383 is strictly a reverb. Has various (but fixed) delay times, various (but fixed) reverb decays, and some rudimentary EQ. Stereo, but not dual mono. I like using the 282 for creating a delay, then pushing the output through the 383 for a super wet, drippy verb.

MMMMM...Ursa....
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:17 pm

i thought this thread was going to be about the Catherine Wheel song of the same name...

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:17 pm

i used it for vocal slapback once. it sounded really good.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:50 pm

I thought this was going to be about the Eleventh Dream Day album.

Ok, I just hoped for that.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.