Audio Cyclopedia

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cornandsoy
ass engineer

Audio Cyclopedia

Post by cornandsoy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 pm

So here at work we're shuffling things around a bit before the students come back in two weeks. Happens every semester, just the way it works. As part of the shuffling some folks switched administrative jobs, and the new classroom services fellow is clearing out a bunch of "junk". I've taken the liberty of rescuing a gem: 'Audio Cyclopedia' by Howard M. Tremaine, 1969 edition. According to the cover it's "the most comprehensive and authoritative reference volume on audio ever published -- covers every phase of the subject, including the latest solid-state and integrated circuits". This is a 1700-page hardcover monstrosity. Sweet!

Opening up to random pages reveals all sorts of neat stuff. Figure 18-72B, schematic for a Noise-reduction amplifier. Figure 12-259C, schematic for a two-FET phase inverter. Figure 9-47, block diagram for a 3-section split-channel mixer. Figure 17-179C, clock diagram for a Nagra III 1/4" tape recorder.

This thing is dated, sure, but it's going to be terribly useful next time I start hacking at things. That's all -- just bragging :)

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 am

great find...my folks found me a copy of the RDH4 for christmas...still working on finding a resonably priced copy of the audio cyclopedia.
weeeee

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:53 pm

"Dated" my foot...90% of boutique equipment designs can probably be found in there.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

gyraf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gyraf » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:30 am

RDH4, Chapters 1,2 (Introduction to the radio valve) and 5 (Transformers):

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/schematics.html

Jakob E.

Silverhammernz
audio school

Post by Silverhammernz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Have the 1973 printing, (Audio cyclopedia) amazing info on EMT reverb plates and ribbon microphones amongst many other things.

LarryK