New Plate Reverb Maker

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:02 pm

http://www.platesonics.com/index.html

Has anyone ordered one of these yet?

The MP3's sound like.....plate reverb.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:13 pm

looks cool..you could make that pretty simply though and a lot less expensively..but its a project and a half..I think a lot of the "classic sound" came from the emt tube amps..these guys dont come with any amps at all..

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: New Plate Reverb Maker

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:http://www.platesonics.com/index.html

Are ya gonna buy one Raymond?
beware bee wear

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:50 pm

joeysimms wrote:

yep, and I'm gonna stick it behind the couch, so sit still when we're mixing okay?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
joeysimms wrote:

yep, and I'm gonna stick it behind the couch, so sit still when we're mixing okay?
I'm gonna bang on it with my boner.
beware bee wear

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:59 pm

joeysimms wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:
joeysimms wrote:

I'm gonna bang on it with my boner.
Well now. If that isn't 'getting personal' I don't know what is....

Seriously though, someone buy one of these things and tell me about it.

MintFieldMan
audio school graduate

Post by MintFieldMan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 pm

The drivers on those plates look like these...

http://www.si-technologies.com/frontEnd ... oductID=23

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:11 pm

joeysimms wrote:I'm gonna bang on it with my boner.
Yeah... Sometimes I use the Long Boner setting on my convolution reverb, but often it sounds a bit stiff...

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:36 am

Man this would be too damn cool to have!!

I remember reading a "how to build a plate reverb" in Tape Op a while back.
That looked pretty easy.....but this looks even easier:>)

SOMEONE get one of these!!!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:53 pm

Seems really cool and very reasonably priced. I know I couldn't make one as nice for less.

I've told this story here before but it's worth telling again. About a year ago I won an Ebay auction for an EMT Stereo tube 140 plate reverb being cleared out of a studio going out of buisness in Hoboken. The final bid was $750. I set up a pickup time with the seller. I coordinated a moving company to come meet me there and move it to my studio space for $200. I researched how to prepare a plate reverb for shipping/moving and got their early and packed it up.

When the moving company arrived they dragged it to one staircase and it wouldn't fit! Then they dragged it through the studio to the other stairway and it wouldn't fit either!! The studio was going out of buisness because the building was being converted to luxury condos. The first part of the convertion (lining the stairways with firebrick) had already been done. This reduced the size of the stairway by a few inches in each direction. Just enough to make it too small to fit the plate reverb out the door!!!

It literally WOULD NOT fit out of that studio. In the end the seller gave me my money back and the moving company didn't charge me a thing.

Still breaks my heart just thinking about it. The EMT Tube modules in that thing were SO BEAUTIFUL. They were amazing. Just the connecting cable to connect the pick-ups and driver to the modules were a gorgeous piece of engineering. Gotta love the Germans...

philbova
audio school graduate

Post by philbova » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:35 pm

We acquired an EMT 140 plate from the National Arts Centre here in Ottawa a few years ago. The plate was located in it's own little chamber within the bowels of this theatre/opera house. The audio techs hadn't used in for over 20 years, or since they got their first Lexicon 224. I don't they could figure out why I wanted this ancient thing that looked like a box spring.
After trying for almost an hour it wouldn't fit into the elevator which was the only practical to get it down to the lobby. One plan was to completly dismatle it, but getting it back together would have been a pain in the ass.The Union guys who were hired to move it basically told me that I was screwed. I begged them to do something.
There was one last resort and that was to bring it through an extremely narrow walkway that led out to the catwalk area about 4-5 stories above the main stage. This was semi dangerous because the railing was really low and there was barely any room to move up there. One of the movers almost fell off the walkway to his death but his hand was grabbed in time. In the end ropes were attached to the unit and it was slowly hoisted it down to the main stage. One of the tension clips broke in all of this madness but everything else was OK.

I'd do it again though. There's still nothing that sounds like an EMT 140. I love it and use it on all my mixes.

Philip Shaw Bova

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:01 pm

I want one really badly!

I just looked through the whole site. These guys are only 40-minutes away from me. I'm gonna try to get over ther soon!

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:00 am

When moving an EMT through a tight fit, you can make it easier by removing the side panels. You have to be be very careful if doing it this way, but it will make it possible to negotiate tight turns. Our plate was removed from a studio that needed to get it into an elevator. The only way it would fit was with the sides off. Same thing on our end negotiating a turn in the stairs. Plates are a lot of work, but they are SO worth it. One of the most important purchases we ever made.

I listened to some of the samples of the plate mentioned in this thread. I have a hard time listening to MP3's of anything, but what I heard didn't knock me out. Of course the subtleties of a real EMT wouldn't be reproduced in a low-res format like that anyway.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 pm

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Being that Plate-Sonics is fairly close to me I was able to persuade them to bring me one of the 3x6 plates for a review in the magazine. It's really cool and unique. I decided to buy it because, well, it was already in my room, and it sounds cool and, I just couldn't resist. Watch the magazine for my review.
Last edited by drumsound on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

The Natural Mallet

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:23 pm

That "b*oner" comment ealier in thread has left me with a persistant and unsettling mental picture.

But - hey - anything for the music.

Could you post some MP3s when set up and well :oops: rehearsed.
[/quote]
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****