What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: The build in question

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:It seemed that we hadn't determined which model was the desired unit, so I wrote about the box I knew something about.
:roll:

About the only thing we've determined is the model that we are talking about.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:46 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Yamean like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Realistic-31-1989-S ... dZViewItem
Except Blackface, so no, not like this.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Mr. Dipity wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Yamean like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Realistic-31-1989-S ... dZViewItem
Except Blackface, so no, not like this.
And I suspect the ol' ratshack had a different model # for the one in question, so I'm still waiting for someone to post it.
Satify my need for cold hard numbers, someone...!
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:56 am

That seems like a good price!
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 am

toothpastefordinner wrote:
Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:It seemed that we hadn't determined which model was the desired unit, so I wrote about the box I knew something about.

I would like to check the sound of the one you describe with open ears.

We've made headway by agreeing the 10 band is what you'd expect from a RS sonic Band-Aid.
fair enough, I guess! It's the 31-1989. :) If you find one, crack it open, switch out the ceramic caps in the signal path with poly caps (the two-bit green caps from mouser/digikey are fine) and take it for a test drive!
Isn't 31-1989 the model # of what everyone's looking for? If so, I found one on ebay for $12. That included shipping. I figure even if it's a complete piece of garbage - which it may very well be, I'll pay $12 just to see. It is a silver face though.

My question is wouldn't a company like radio shack just have 2 versions (colors) with the same guts, trying to match consumers' existing stereo colors? Meaning does black face/ silver face of the same model really make a difference? I dunno, just askin'.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 am

stinkpot wrote:

We've made headway by agreeing the 10 band is what you'd expect from a RS sonic Band-Aid.
fair enough, I guess! It's the 31-1989. :) If you find one, crack it open, switch out the ceramic caps in the signal path with poly caps (the two-bit green caps from mouser/digikey are fine) and take it for a test drive!
Isn't 31-1989 the model # of what everyone's looking for? If so, I found one on ebay for $12. That included shipping. I figure even if it's a complete piece of garbage - which it may very well be, I'll pay $12 just to see. It is a silver face though.

My question is wouldn't a company like radio shack just have 2 versions (colors) with the same guts, trying to match consumers' existing stereo colors? Meaning does black face/ silver face of the same model really make a difference? I dunno, just askin'.
sorry, that's the semi-worthless silverfaced (brushed-aluminium 80s) version.

you're looking for the blackfaced (enamel-finished 70s) version which are a bit difficult to come by anymore.

they are from different decades and the guts/construction are wildly different.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm

stinkpot wrote:Isn't 31-1989 the model # of what everyone's looking for? If so, I found one on ebay for $12. That included shipping. I figure even if it's a complete piece of garbage - which it may very well be, I'll pay $12 just to see. It is a silver face though.

Seriously not worth the bother.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:07 pm

C'est la vie. Like I said, $12.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:05 pm

I will pay someone $500 to post a picture of this fucking thing. I am dying.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:59 pm

AstroDan wrote:I will pay someone $500 to post a picture of this fucking thing. I am dying.
*grabs digicam and immediately drives to his cousin's place in Dallas*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:34 pm

AstroDan wrote:I will pay someone $500 to post a picture of this fucking thing. I am dying.
I seem to recall an album which had a picture of it as background for the liner notes. It was one of those 'macro lens' photos of the insides of a fancy L.A. studio, with the band all acting 'cool'. Cello Studios? Or something like that?

A session engineer at a studio I was at pulled it out of a stack to show me the EQ, when we started talking about it. It was one of those disposable top40 emo radio bands.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:18 pm

I am submitting this thread to "History DEtectives" for review....
0x

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:04 pm

RefD wrote:
stinkpot wrote:

sorry, that's the semi-worthless silverfaced (brushed-aluminium 80s) version.

you're looking for the blackfaced (enamel-finished 70s) version which are a bit difficult to come by anymore.

they are from different decades and the guts/construction are wildly different.
Damn! And he thought he saved $2,988.00! :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:29 pm

0xeneye wrote:I am submitting this thread to "History DEtectives" for review....
didn't they get cancelled cos not enough yuppies (like myself) were mentioning the show while phoning in their pledges?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:34 pm

I can't believe I actually found a thread about this. This weekend I was at a local shop that usually has decent used gear. There was a dude with an Electrical Audio t-shirt, so i started BS'ing with him about Albini and Shellac. He was checking out two used rat shack eq's. when i asked him why he was wasting his time on shitty looking eq's, he told me that there was a certain model of rat shack eq that is supposed to be the shit. This dude used one at a buddy's studio once and said that he though it held up well against a Pultec the guy had there. I though he was full of shit, so I did search here and voila! The one's this gear shop had were blackface, I'm certain of that. I think the guy only bought one of the two, I'm going to go back and see if the other one is still there.
Last edited by JASIII on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini