Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:08 pm

that's IT
bring in your MOM!!!!
freaking genius!!!
that's a good idea on sooo many levels..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:09 pm

I'll assume that she wants to do you because you're just so damn doable.

You've just got to bring up the topic and get it all out on the table. I can't imagine things NOT getting really uncomfortable, at the worst possible time probably, if you don't.

establishing some honesty and trust upfront will probably help the recording in the long run.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:13 pm

i'll be doing drums, piano and vocals at the commercial studio where i work (in order to take advantage of vastly superior mics, pre's, compressors, and a great sounding room), but for financial reasons i'm going to have to do bass, synths, guitars, looping, etc. at my home studio.
so a little of both.
as far as it goes, it seems like having someone chaperone would come off as fairly insulting. fortunately, i'm not one to drink when working, so i've got that going for me.
i really just want to figure out how to (diplomatically) make sure we are on the same page before committing to a really important project.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I'll assume that she wants to do you because you're just so damn doable.

You've just got to bring up the topic and get it all out on the table. I can't imagine things NOT getting really uncomfortable, at the worst possible time probably, if you don't.

establishing some honesty and trust upfront will probably help the recording in the long run.
word, that seems pretty sage. sounds like it oughtta be a fun conversation: "i know you like me, but i'm only interested in your ability to assist me career. well i feel much better now. see you in the studio!"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:16 pm

getting all hung up about whether or not there's another FEMALE present makes it sound like maybe you've watched a bit too much of those movies and tv shows.
it assumes one or both of two things, both of which are slightly offensive.
1. sexual harrassment is some made up thing to make mens' lives miserable.
2. men have no control of themselves when left alone with a woman.

I just can't imagine being THAT uncomfortable around women.

I'd say just meet her in a public place until you've been able to establish that you're only interested in a professional relationship.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:42 pm

I'm not saying that you need a chapperone, or that it necessarily has to be a female in the room. But having an "assistant" an "intern" or just some other third party that is there in some kind of semi-legitimate role just means that there is a 3rd party there to cover you if anything should go awry.
Hell, is there another assistant or intern at the commercial studio who might work for free to have an assistant credit on her disc? Great, then you're helping his/her career too.
And we're not talking about just any old female client. This one seems to narco to be putting the moves on him. Obviously he has plenty of control over himself around this woman because he hasn't slept with her and has no intention of doing so. It's not a question of the engineer being in control of himself, but of the engineer being in control of his work environment and protecting the career he is trying to develop.
I'd say just meet her in a public place until you've been able to establish that you're only interested in a professional relationship.
Why even say that if the situation doesn't seem weird? Because having other people around as "witnesses" protects the engineer. That's my point with the extra person in the studio.
For me it's luckily not been a big deal in my studio, but if I were at all worried about a particular client I would simply make sure I had a student employee in on every session. There have been plenty of cases around the country where teachers have had students (male & female) tell them they want an 'A' or they will cry wolf.

-Jeremy

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:46 pm

Are you Phil Spector?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:51 pm

haha, i wish!
well, except for all the guns and psychological abuse (and possible homicide), anyway.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:09 pm

narcopolo wrote:haha, i wish!
well, except for all the guns and psychological abuse (and possible homicide), anyway.
It all starts with humping on the console...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:49 pm

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
in my case it started not with humping on the console, but rather with humping the console itself.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:50 pm

f her

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:57 pm

liquid mob wrote:
cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
in my case it started not with humping on the console, but rather with humping the console itself.
Hey fella, how's things?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:18 pm

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
You gotta make sure it's a sturdy console. Amek Angelas are good; I wouldn't try it on a Mackie 32x8 or a Tascam though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: my client wants to do me

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:29 pm

narcopolo wrote:it's pretty shitty - she's really good, and i really would benefit from recording her, but everytime i try to set up a meeting to talk about getting the project together, she treats it more like a date. i don't want to lose the chance to work with her (i really can't overemphasize how talented she is), but i don't wanna go to the bonezone with her! has anyone ever had this? what's the best way to handle this without losing this great opportunity?
Charge what you charge, record/mix/master (still kinda flirt back if you want), and then once it's done see if she's still interested. Or play coy the whole time if you're not interested then lay it on thick once the recording is done.

Some girls can be persuasive... umm, all girls can be as far as I'm concerned. I think some can be (non-exclusive) smitten, awestruck, interested, and/or manipulative.

I also think engineers/producers seem to give off a reputation of being more stable than musicians? I know, that's a generalization but you look at so many female artists marrying their producers, there must be something about it.

Is it the Money?

Is it how much undivided support is given?

I'd hope it's the latter (cuz I'm always broke).

But yet again, in retrospect, it felt like my chain was being pulled after the session was over and I tried to pursue things to no avail.

I guess it depends on what kind of emotional roller-coaster you want to take. All the fun is getting there.

I'd love to hear a female's view on this... either being an engineer or artist perspective. All we have is jaded guys here, right, or did I miss a female perspective?

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:34 pm

jaded male here..