Recording a solid guitar amp - advisable?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gaotu
audio school

Recording a solid guitar amp - advisable?

Post by gaotu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:49 pm

I run a "budget" recording studio and many of my financially struggling clients have solid state guitar amps. No big deal - I still get paid and I do have a tube amp that they can use when they want.

Here's the deal though. I've noticed that no matter how good these solid state amps seems to sound in the room (I've had a lot of "nice" Line 6 amps in here), they always seem a little harsh once recorded in comparison to tube amps. It doesn't seem to matter what mic, preamp, or position I use.

Am I the only one who experiences this phenomenon? Does anybody prefer or at least believe that there is reason to use a solid state amp over a tube amp?

I've recently started a band too. Of course, being a studio owner, I want to give us a really kick ass recording. My concern is that the main guitar player has a shitty solid state amp that he swears by. And he doesn't want to use a tube amp because they're "noisy" and whatever other reason.... cuz his amp is great! Ha...

Anyway... what do you all think and is there any scientific reason why tube amps would sound good in a recording and a solid state wouldn't? Are solid state amps Class A... ever?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Bingo.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:55 pm

The best solid state amp I've ever heard is the discontinued and long-gone Pearce series. They make even the most staunch tube-head a believer. But they are also about the only solid state amp worth anything.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:21 pm

FWIW, all the early King's X albums were recorded with Gibson Lab Series solid state amps. I wouldn't describe the tone on those albums as "harsh".

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:36 am

Tatertot wrote:Bingo.
no you'ld better specify (sp?)....

in other words.."what the hell are you talking about?"

i don't gettit..but theres a pile of rotten booze involved

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:48 am

i think solid state vs tube gets the same 'reputation' as digital vs analog.. it's all about how you use them.

I don't think anyone should look at an amp, see that it's solid state, and make a judgment call that it's not going to cut it.

I've recorded excellent tracks from solid state amps.. I was actually really suprised because I went into it with the afformentioned attitude.

my advice: work with what you've got, and experiment with how you're recording it. recording techniques for different types of amps can vary widely. I wouldn't bury the mic into the grill on a solid state, for example.

it's also worth spending a good deal of time getting the settings right on the amp first.

also.. as a side point -- there's very little fuss about solid state bass amps, what gives?
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:00 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Bingo.
no you'ld better specify (sp?)....

in other words.."what the hell are you talking about?"

i don't gettit..but theres a pile of rotten booze involved
Wwellll...

Bingo, meaning it's easier to get a semi-decent tube amp to sound good on tape than it is to get a semi-decent solidstate amp to do same, especially when the drive of the amps is being utilized during said process. I hope this little explanatory epistle will clarificate your contemplations.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:40 am

if it sounds good i nthe room but bad o ntape i'd say it must be your micing... maybe you need to get a mic further out fro mthe amp to get that ROOM sound.. and blend it with a mic up against the grill

personally i think tube / solid state is a moot point... if the tone sounds good i nthe room, complements the palyer / song then whats the problem?

and there are more than just one decent sounding solid state amps out there

jc120 springs to mind immediatly

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:43 am

solid state amps have their place. i have used many great sounding solid state amps that really flatter what the guitar player is doing.
a really high wattage peavy amp can sound really cool if you're using a tele and want a low end that isn't rounded like a tube amp will tend to.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 am

FWIW, I feel it all has to do with what you're patching into the front end of most well-designed solid state amps. If you're starting off with crappy pickups then forget about it; you've already lost the game there. If you're re-amping a great signal through a solid state amp you'll get good fidelity and a useable signal IMO. If you're driving the amp up front with a nice guitar pre like a JMP-1 or a Tubester, Randall modules, etc., then you'll have success there too.

I'm just of the opinion that most of the complaints about how solid state amps sound is the byproduct of starting off with crappy pedals or crappy pickups or both.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:36 am

Yeah, I have both solid and tube amps around, including an old Yamaha g100 212 (brownface, I am fond of pointing out) that gets frequent use.

Sometimes there's nothing quite as useful as the ratty Peavey drive sound. Sometimes that sound just hurts and the Musicman sixty-five toob drive is just the ticket.

Silverjet89
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Silverjet89 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Although I prefer tube amps there have been a lot of great records made with solid state amps.
Definitely try experimenting with mics and mic placement but if you're not getting a good sound in the room you probably won't get a good one on the recording.
One thing I've found is that solid-state amps usually have cheap speakers as well since they're trying to keep the cost down. Try the amp through a different speaker if you can. I was recording an old solid state Peavey Duece that sounded like crap no matter what we did. I plugged the head through my Marshall cab with Vintage 30s and it sounded like a completely different amp. Vast improvement.
Why, you ask, didn't we just use the Marshall amp? The guy wanted to use the wacky phaser that is built into the Peavey.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:59 pm

John Jeffers wrote:FWIW, all the early King's X albums were recorded with Gibson Lab Series solid state amps. I wouldn't describe the tone on those albums as "harsh".
Would this include "Ear Candy"? Because that album has some fantastic guitar tones! As a side note, though, and more related to the topic at hand - the lead parts, and in fact most of the parts, are extremely roomy.. which perhaps is what is needed to "smooth out" a solid state amp that sounds good in the room.

I'm thinking of specifically "my life going by" and the "looking for love" and "picture" guitar solos.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm

dynomike wrote:
John Jeffers wrote:FWIW, all the early King's X albums were recorded with Gibson Lab Series solid state amps. I wouldn't describe the tone on those albums as "harsh".
Would this include "Ear Candy"?
Nah, the self-titled album was the last one to use the Lab Series amps. I think he used Mesa/Boogie on Ear Candy, but I'm not sure.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Recording a solid guitar amp - advisable?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:15 pm

gaotu wrote:Here's the deal though. I've noticed that no matter how good these solid state amps seems to sound in the room (I've had a lot of "nice" Line 6 amps in here), they always seem a little harsh once recorded in comparison to tube amps. It doesn't seem to matter what mic, preamp, or position I use.
could it be the way you are recording them? I'm a big believer in the fact that the person behind the recording and the sound that the band makes and the room the music is played in are everything in the way a recording sounds..

All SS amps don't sound harsh and many even are completely undistinguishable from tube amps on recordings or live in person..
Am I the only one who experiences this phenomenon? Does anybody prefer or at least believe that there is reason to use a solid state amp over a tube amp?
I mean a lot of times you can hear a difference between them..there is this 2d/3d thing I notice a lot of the time with tube vs SS..but it can't be said that all SS amps are harsh..no way..every amp sounds different even different units of the same model, 'specially with older stuff can sound worlds apart in tone..
I've recently started a band too. Of course, being a studio owner, I want to give us a really kick ass recording. My concern is that the main guitar player has a shitty solid state amp that he swears by. And he doesn't want to use a tube amp because they're "noisy" and whatever other reason.... cuz his amp is great! Ha...
Congradulations on starting a band..I play in a band too and its a lot of hard work..but really fun sometimes too..so I hate it and love it..

so this comes down to philosophy and perception and all sorts of grey areas of taste and presentation and context..Do you like the sound he makes? I mean it really comes down to that..If you don't and he does..what to do? Being in a band sometimes you have to compromise..you live you learn you play together you get better hopefully..maybe its not wise to focus on his guitar sound as much as it's wise to focus on the sound of the band, the arrangements of the songs as a whole?
Anyway... what do you all think and is there any scientific reason why tube amps would sound good in a recording and a solid state wouldn't? Are solid state amps Class A... ever?
sounding good can never be objective like science because its all in the ear of the beholder..what you think it absolute crap I might love..and vice versa..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.