external drives-USB or Firewire (with digi oo2 rack)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

renglish5
audio school graduate

external drives-USB or Firewire (with digi oo2 rack)

Post by renglish5 » Thu May 25, 2006 9:33 am

Does it matter which one i use? IMy laptop does not have a firewire port so i am using a card with 2 ports on it- that screwed up my wireless capability and now i am having to use the USB 2.0 port for my external Hard drive, which left a USB 1.1 for my wireles(slooow) i have crap hanging off my laptop from every port...any ideas, and if this is going to present problem then how many tracks until they start???!!

yeah, besides- "buy a mac, powerbook, ibook etc"....(i am looking tho, until...)

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu May 25, 2006 3:29 pm

I might be wrong, but I think it'll only work with a firewire drive. There is a FW port on the 002 and I believe you can connect a drive to that.
Take what I say with a grain of sea salt.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

davidp158
alignin' 24-trk

Post by davidp158 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 am

I don't think USB drives have adequate speed, but as I haven't used one, I can't verify this. The FW drives are fairly popular with folks on the Digidesign user forum, but be sure to get one with the Oxford 911 chipset.

Don't use the Firewire ports on the 002 and 002R for a hard drive. Digidesign recommends that you connect your FW drive to the computer, and then connect the 002 or 002R to a second port onthe FW hard drive. This is outlined in the Digidesign compatibility pages on their web site.

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/

I hope this helps,
Dave

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:04 am

USB 2.0 drives are plenty fast enough for most audio applications.

The important question is why do you have to have your wireless network plugged in while you're recording?

Albert
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albert » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 am

The Digi 002 is a firewire interface, not a USB interface. So you need a firewire port and a firewire drive if you are going to chain the 002 and the drive.