drum submix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

css
audio school

drum submix

Post by css » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:06 pm

my aardvark interface recently went down so on my last project i was forced to submix my drums :x i used a d6 on kick, blue baby bottle as an overhead (a first for me, and it suprisingly worked out pretty well), and a 57 on snare. the question i was hoping for help with is what sort of compression should i used on the drum submix? i usually just use compression on individual drums not as a whole. any tricks tips?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:14 pm

What do you have available to use? My suggestion - not to be trite - is to use what works in the context of the song, even if that means no compression (or shitloads of it). Try lots of things out and see what's working for you.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:37 pm

I used to apply compression to individual drums too but I'm starting to find submixing the drums and putting a compressor across it works better for me. I'd say just start with some mild settings and start turning the knobs and see what pops out. What kind of compressor do you use?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:11 am

I will usually just put a compressor over the whole kit or send the kick and snare to a seperate buss and compress that as well as the whole kit. Once compressor over the whole kit gives it a more cohesive sound than doing the kick and snare seperate but sometimes is more modern agressive music you might want to try that. Or no compression at all. It really just depends on what music you are doing and what you want it to sound like.[/i]

css
audio school

Post by css » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:40 pm

right now i only have 'n-track compressor', came w/ the software, hoping to save up for a FMR RNP soon though, thx for the responses thus far =)

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Busses are your friends. Use them... ALOT!! :]

Also check out:
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hard ... 758&lang=0

They have some goooood VST plugins.

Kelly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Kelly » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Try low ratio (1.5-2) and low threshold.

css
audio school

Post by css » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:37 am

cool, thx for the help guys

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:02 am

One thing that works pretty well on drum mixes for some types of music is to use a compressor (or 2 in series) on an aux bus, and mix it with the uncompressed drums. This fattens the sound without losing the lower end of the dynamics.

This assumes, of course, that your DAW compensates for plugin latency - - if not, it will just smear the drums in the time domain.
________
New mexico medical marijuana dispensaries