shock the monkey multitrack files

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

effector
takin' a dinner break

shock the monkey multitrack files

Post by effector » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:54 am

real world studios is putting up the multitracks for 'shock the monkey' on their webpage, for nerds like us to enjoy and remix. the best remixer wins an ssl duende. fun, right?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Looks like fun!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am

Awesome.
Thanks for posting this.
It's times like this that I hate having a dial-up connection even more.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am

QUESTION WITHDRAWN:

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but how in the world do you get to the files?

EDIT: I did find them. When I looked originally they must not have been posted yet.
Last edited by exit2studios on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:04 pm

Go to the site: http://www.realworldremixed.com/competition.php
Sign up to be a member of the site, log in and then you will have access to the downloads.
SONAR won't let me import the .MP3's and my connection is too slow/unreliable to get the .WAV's :cry:

Hope that helps.

-Darrill

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:54 pm

This stuff is totally fascinating.

I know it's a remix competition, but I just wanted to take the song apart, and it's amazing how many totally corny sounds can make such a rocking song. I've never been a full on Gabriel fan, but I always appreciated the sounds, and I'm just kind of shocked (ha) at how lame some of the parts are solo.

I was initially bummed that the files didn't slip nicely into the original arrangement, but now I think it's great to try to build something even remotely as good sounding as the original.

-mad

PS. they have a few other tunes by other artists to download.
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:38 pm

Darrill, use audacity to convert the mp3s to wav. free, lovely.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:00 pm

Thanks for posting this. Tony Levin and David Rodes's parts sound incredible solo'd, as well as Peter's main keyboard parts. I played my remix (infancy) of this for some of my friends at the end of a session today and we were all freaking out at all of the parts. Peter's voice is incredible. I love the headphone bleed in the vocal tracks. Great stuff.

Also, check out the overheads that are blended in with the Linn Drum stuff. Genius.

This is way too much fun. 10 yrs ago I would have never believed that I would be able to pull apart this song like this.

Now if we could all get the Abbey Road multitracks!

Jeff

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:33 pm

syrupcore wrote:Darrill, use audacity to convert the mp3s to wav. free, lovely.
You rule! Thanks. I didn't realize that it was that simple.

-Darrill

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:35 pm

jdub wrote:...This is way too much fun. 10 yrs ago I would have never believed that I would be able to pull apart this song like this.

Now if we could all get the Abbey Road multitracks!

Jeff
I agree. Too much fun. I'm going to be spending too much time playing with this. Never would have imagined something like this either back then and then as technology progressed I always wished for something like it. Too cool.

-Darrill

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Never would have imagined something like this either back then and then as technology progressed I always wished for something like it. Too cool.
i definitely agree! it seems to be becoming decreasingly unheard of for artists to make multitracks of their songs available....which i just think is super neat! i try to check it out every time i hear about something like this, whether the music is my cup of tea or not. :) (luckily, 'shock the monkey' rocks my socks!)

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:51 am

nlmd311 wrote:Go to the site: http://www.realworldremixed.com/competition.php
Sign up to be a member of the site, log in and then you will have access to the downloads.
-Darrill
Am I too late? I signed-up, logged in, but I can't figure out where to "download the pack."

Ach... nevermind. One needs to click on Downloads from the nav bar at the top of the page. Real World not very intuitive.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:40 am

Im guessing Ozzy has been disqualified?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:38 pm

I've tried to download the .zip of the wav files, but it keeps stalling @ 67%..... anyone else having trouble with this?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:18 pm

I downloaded the goods and soloed tracks to check it out... Isn't it amazing how PG doubles his own vocal in real time? :D

Timewise, this fits together a little weird. Obviously, some stuff they just give you a few bars of. But besides that, the tracks aren't zeroed (like, the Snare file doesn't start on the one, it jumps in with the first hit, on the 3&, I believe). Yes, there's a lil' text file that says "Please note the BPM is a guide as the actual multitracks are not a regular tempo." But this is tough to reconcile when you've got, say, a LinnKick track which is only 4 bars, and if you loop that, it DOES make a regular tempo.

I ain't complaining here! Just FYI, it seems a loop-based audio app (Live, Acid, Garageband) would be preferable for this remix. Pulling tracks up in Pro Tools and making them fit together is going to be labor (or labour) intensive.

Leigh