Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maxadocious
alignin' 24-trk

Uhhhh...

Post by maxadocious » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Everyone seems to forget the most popular claps ever:

The Friends theme song!

I mean, sure it's not a masterpiece like the other Rembrandt, but it's darn catchy.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:56 pm

How could I forget The Stooges geez!

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:17 pm

hammertime wrote:I haven't heard the song in over 20 years, but if I remember correctly, the Cars had a clap on "My Best Friend's Girl." Just on a production level, those were some pretty killer recordings.
My favorite Cars claps are on "Since You're Gone". They stay steady, but as the music changes, they fall on different up and down beats. Sweet!

soundofsingles
audio school

re:who has the best handclaps

Post by soundofsingles » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm

The first two songs that came to mind are Paul Pena's "Gonna Move" and Jimmy Soul's "If You Wanna Be Happy." After going back and listening to them, the claps themselves aren't all that interesting. It's the spirit of the song. Both songs are sing-alongs with people shouting to each other, which makes the handclaps feel natural and live.

Nothing is worse than gating and compressing the life out of claps.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:01 pm

I have to vote for the song "Mary Lynn" on the new Michael Penn album. They sound incredible. The whole album sounds incredible.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:36 pm

I put in Black Crowes "Gone" off of Amorica. Chris Robinson, hand clap aficionado!
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Staticlove
audio school

Post by Staticlove » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Broken Social Scene - Stars and Sons

...love that song.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:53 pm

Re: Earliest handclaps : I have flamenco recordings from 1916 with "las palmas" all over it. The notion of Motown being the first is ridiculous....
0x

Lilainjil
audio school

Post by Lilainjil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:19 pm

My favourite has to be Give Peace A Chance

and there's Eight Days A Week ...if only cuz I've been listening to The Beatles over and over with my four year old. "Hold me (CLAP CLAP) Love me (CLAP CLAP)"

There's a gazillion more at this link:
http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=2313475

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

the clapp

Post by virtualguthrie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:02 pm

best friends girl...CARS, CARS, best friend s girl. Oh my god what a production, the guitar intro and then the hand claps, amazing. I think it's up there with the best of 'em. Anyone know production details on it, how about the guitars?? (Sorry to hi-jack a little)

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:39 pm

A little story: hangin' with Johnny Thunders at Max's sometime around 79, 80, maybe 81 (maybe 82 or 3, who knows, it was all kinda fuzzy then...) and he's having a little snack before his set. Steak, potato, string beans. Which he barely touches. And about three white russians in 20 minutes. So he says, "we were putting down some tracks and needed some handclaps, and the producer hands out a bunch of 2 x 4s. I'm telling you, 2 x 4s rock for handclaps."

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49 pm

Oh, and great handclaps: those Baptist eighth note rhythms on Sly's "Stand!"
The Four Seasons "Sheree", the Supremes "Baby Love" (actually kinda foot-stomps, but same vibe.)
And along with "If You Wanna Be Happy," there were all those Johnny Rivers tunes, "live" at the Whisky au Go Go: "Secret Agent Man," "Seventh Son," "Memphis," "Maybelline," etc. etc. I heard they'd cut the basic tracks, then round up a bunch of sweet young things. They'd all get real loaded, and roll tape: everybody yellin' and drinkin' and dancin' and clappin' and clickin' glasses and bottles and crap. Great records. Great records.

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:51 pm

A little story: hangin' with Johnny Thunders at Max's sometime around 79, 80, maybe 81 (maybe 82 or 3, who knows, it was all kinda fuzzy then...) and he's having a little snack before his set. Steak, potato, string beans. Which he barely touches. And about three white russians in 20 minutes. So he says, "we were putting down some tracks and needed some handclaps, and the producer hands out a bunch of 2 x 4s. I'm telling you, 2 x 4s rock for handclaps."

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:35 pm

Ok, so I'm too lazy to read all these, but has anyone mentioned Smog's knock knock? - killer, perfectly natural, it-wouldn't-ever-occur-to-you-to-question-them handclaps.
Gotta love Smog.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 pm

2X4 tell me more