I like crappy music

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

I like crappy music

Post by virtualguthrie » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:30 am

Suddenly I'm finding myself likeing music I never would have listened to before I got into audio. Cheesey shit like "Footloose" just because I like how the guitars sound. I'm almost ashamed to admit this stuff. Anybody else have similiar experiences.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am

Everyone has music they're sheepish about admitting they like/listen to.

I think the late '70s/early 1980s Olivia Newton-John records sound great, for example.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 am

i just bought an abba record. :oops:

also, i still listen to antichrist superstar from time to time. (in my car, with the windows rolled up :lol:) it's funny - when i listen to it now, it sounds like disgusting ADAT hell to me, and the guitars sound thin and brittle. i think it's about time for a remaster!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:51 am

Ain't nothing wrong with some Abba.
My wife will ocassionally throw on some Ace of Base. Now that's a tough listen.
I don't own any of his albums, but I'm usually impressed by Justin Timberlake. I don't think he's done it yet, but I think he's capable of creating something as good as Innervisions.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm

well i've admitted my affection for the steve miller band on here many times in the past...but anyway, i'm listening to classic rock radio last night before going to sleep (brief aside...does anyone else appreciate the way stuff sounds coming through really shitty teeny tiny clock radio speakers? with all the radio compression i find it kinda fascinating.) and they played 'rockin' me'....which was always my least favorite of the 5 or so SMB tunes they rotate every damn day, but i figured i'd give it a listen anyway...and man that is a HELL of a vocal. still an awfully banal tune but i was quite impressed with the level of craft involved. to say nothing of the freakin china on the intro.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:42 pm

mjau wrote: My wife will ocassionally throw on some Ace of Base. Now that's a tough listen.
I genuinely like(d) Ace of Base. I haven't listened to it in a really long time, but in middle school i was all about it. i don't care.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Russian Recording wrote:I genuinely like(d) Ace of Base.
Try Yaki-Da. they were a European Ace of Base ripoff that was HUGE (I mean MASSIVE) in Asia about ten years ago.

I'm sure soundguy will be along soon to comment on me liking Toto.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Not sure how they can be a European rip off of a European group :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Bass
WWRHS?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Good point. There was some sort of tie-in between the two groups. Yaki-Da was Swedish. Probably the kids from the ABBA folks or something.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Mark wrote:Not sure how they can be a European rip off of a European group :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Bass
Which, arguably, was a ripoff of an earlier Scandi-pop band (Ace of Bass ripping off Abba, that is).

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Post by virtualguthrie » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:02 pm

I genuinely like(d) Ace of Base. I haven't listened to it in a really long time, but in middle school i was all about it. i don't care.[/quote]

Fuck yeah man...that's what it's all about.... I feel better now, thanks everyone.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:37 pm

Spice Girls. There, I said it. Now shoot me.

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

oh yes

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:35 pm

I have suffered from this too, recently. I saw a long list of recommended listening on some mastering engineer's site, and checked most of them out at the library. It was great fun - even when some of the titles were just lame (not naming names). My wife would enter the room, baffled...

Traffic's 'low spark of high heeled boys' is a really nice transfer, and you are absolutely in the room with the band when you critically listen to that tune on your monitoring system. It's a roomy mix (as opposed to dense, like a hard rock mix), and maybe that's easier to do, but you can just about reach out and touch each member's axe...

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 pm

pride is limiting. Congratulate yourself for your ability to like things that others are blinded to from pride or cultural indoctrination. Congratulations!

If any of us were stranded on a desert island for 20 years with no music we would all be glad to hear the sound of a piano being tuned, much less some ace of base. Music is precious and just because there's an abundance of it doesn't mean that it's not better than no music at all. If there's not something you can like about every single piece of music you hear, even if it's just some little thing, then you're probably just missing it :D

Now justin timberlake doing something on the level of innervisions... i'll believe that when I see it, mjau. :?

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Judy Collins's "Wildflowers" is one of my favorite records of all time. I can't believe I just admitted that (I'm usually pretty closeted about my love of that album). Yeah, it's schlocky and a little over the top, and Judy's performance values now sound a little dated and embarassing, but some great songwriting (by the likes of Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell!) and Joshua Rifkin's arrangements rock.
Oh, and I dig Ace of Base too.