Natural Light

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Natural Light

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:47 am

Most of the studios I see look like they're built in caves...does anyone have any pics of studios with windows/skylights?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:45 pm

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:27 pm

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Rancher introduced me to the obvious advantages of Natural Light at CreotconWest '06

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:50 pm

man you beat me to the Natty Light joke...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am

I never really gave a shit about having natural light in a studio and still sort of don't but working at AirTime Studio in Bloomington, IN this past spring changed my perspective a bit. It was a really comfortable studio and I think the windows helped. I don't think it would have felt the same had it not been in a rural area, but for the first time, I was comfortable and still able to focus on the job at hand while working in a room with windows. i've since worked in a few other places with windows (or at least natural sunlight) and haven't felt the same way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:26 pm

I like the timeless feeling of a place without a lot a natural light. I also prefer dark spaces in general...

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 am

cgarges wrote:I never really gave a shit about having natural light in a studio and still sort of don't but working at AirTime Studio in Bloomington, IN this past spring changed my perspective a bit. It was a really comfortable studio and I think the windows helped. I don't think it would have felt the same had it not been in a rural area, but for the first time, I was comfortable and still able to focus on the job at hand while working in a room with windows. i've since worked in a few other places with windows (or at least natural sunlight) and haven't felt the same way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
One of my favorites is in Portland Oregon. It is supernatural sound. They have natural light, an API, and a rural location. It is good to work there because you can get work done.

Maybe you will get a chance to go there one day.

Mike

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:43 pm

What would you do with 20 channels of class A tube compression. Would it change wether or not there was a window behind the rack?
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:19 am

I have nice skylights in the space I'm moving my studio into later this year. I've been renovating it so far and hope to move in within a months time. It also has those glass doors that I'm covering with acoustic(theater) curtains. I used to work in a studio that had tons of natural light. They had glass doors leading out onto a nice balcony. I enjoyed working there because it wasn't a "cave".