Shame, Oh I am ashamed

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Shame, Oh I am ashamed

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 pm

I bought a Behringer digtal delay. There I said it. It was 29$ and I bought it. I feel so dirty.
On to the unshame...
I don't play guitar enough to really justify buying a boss pedal, so this cheaper model really suits my purposes which is the bedroom rockstar on guitar(actually basement would better describe my locale). But nonetheless I bought a Behringer product and I can't shake that dingy feeling that I sold just a little bit of my soul.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:35 am

I'm surprised I haven't succomed. Maybe I'll be next. Actually if I hadn't bought my rolls headphone amp, I would have surely bought the Behringer.
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:43 am

xSALx wrote:I'm surprised I haven't succomed. Maybe I'll be next. Actually if I hadn't bought my rolls headphone amp, I would have surely bought the Behringer.
Be glad you didn't, as I can tell you from experience it's a complete piece of shit.
Steve Albini used to like it

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 am

lobstman wrote:
xSALx wrote:I'm surprised I haven't succomed. Maybe I'll be next. Actually if I hadn't bought my rolls headphone amp, I would have surely bought the Behringer.
Be glad you didn't, as I can tell you from experience it's a complete piece of shit.
I've been using a Behringer headphone amp for the past three yrs and it's worked very well for me. I run remote sessions all over South Jersey and Philly and it sees a lot of use. I felt really dirty for picking it up when I did, but I was borrowing a four channel $50 Rolls headphone amp and I could never push it hard enough for a drummer to use it, even with 7506s. We even used a Behringer at school in the 1990s and it worked just fine.

Jeff

bocmaxima
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bocmaxima » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am

I have a couple pieces of Behringer gear, and they work well enough to justify the purchases. I mean, I dont go running in the middle of the street preaching it, but for the most part they do their job decently.
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.
-M. C. Escher
Shameless Self-Promotion
Shameless Self-Promotion: Redux

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:08 pm

I have the oh-so-lame Behringer headphone amp too. It's worked OK except with long extensions, my good quality headphones load it down too much and it gets really noisy and crappy sounding. With cheap headphones, it works OK even with extensions. Good headphones work fairly well and noise free if connected directly to the unit's front panel. Go figure....

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:21 pm

i have one of those B's firewire interface thingers.. forget the number now. the really small. 24 / 96k 2 in 2 out, bus powered, no mic pre's. like 70$ new.. it does what i need and well..

i have one of those big B midi footpedal. it does sound like shit.. but i think its 'cause it doesn't have any audio in's or outs. sends midi like a champ though. and i can walk on it.

panda

sethmeister
pluggin' in mics

Post by sethmeister » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:10 pm

I have one of those behringer small mixers.

It's somewhat large for a doorstop but does seem to keep the door propped open.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:59 pm

I have a small behringer mixer that works great for live eclectic electronic stuff. Wouldn't use it to record with though...

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 pm

I have one of their famous 2 channel "composer" compressors that's saved my butt a whole lot of times when I get called in to run live sound and they don't enough (or any) compressors.. one channel for drums, one for vox... crush and crank. or something... People can crap on them, but you get what you pay for and sometimes a little more..
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:11 pm

I should probably have elaborated on my dislike of the B'ringer headphone amp- maybe I just had a bad one, but I could never get enough gain out of it (using 54 ohm Sennheiser 414s), and when I pushed it, it would shut itself off. Replaced it with a Rane HC6 and never looked back.

The old Composer comps made in Germany (with the dull silver faceplates) weren't half bad.
Steve Albini used to like it

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:20 pm

I have an old behringer headphone amp and has given me thousands of hours of use. Never had a problem with it. It is one of the ones made when they were made in germany. The knobs still feel good. I can do runs more than 125 feet and no volume or loading issues. I have run up to 18 headphones from it using splitters. Thing worked like a champ. I mainly use AKG K240M headphones.

Mike

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:22 pm

It's not necassarily the quality of the gear that troubles me about thier products however, that is a factor. It's the fact that I look upon Behringer much like most do Guitar Center. It's a relatively cheap, bargain conglomerate bent on the destruction of genuine, but inexpensive alternatives. I like a good deal just as much as the next guy, dont get me wrong.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:23 pm

sethmeister wrote:I have one of those behringer small mixers.

It's somewhat large for a doorstop but does seem to keep the door propped open.
Owned!

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:06 am

Behringer headphone amp is doing the job... not well, not bad, just kinda getting it done.