Yo, hold my metronome.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Yo, hold my metronome.

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Professor T wrote:I'd like to throw this in as a related question, if you don't mind- What exactly does playing to a click track get you? If a band can play songs at a steady tempo, is there any reason to use a click track?
That?s actually a pretty deep psychological question I think most musicians should heavily question at some point in their lives. Of course there are the immediate benefits to using a metronome during practice, and there is the benefit of using a click during recording just to name a couple; but when or where should the usage end for the musician? Maybe it shouldn't even be an issue for certain compositions because that is what the feel dictates. But when I think about performance I have to question how a click puts a strangle hold on the rubato and feel of the music.

It becomes a safety net for a lot of people, when it should used a preparation tool.

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm

"Questions deserving answers
Answers deserving action
What am i of the populi
I am but a fraction

Is there heaven? is there hell?
Is that tuna melt i smell?
Come on"

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:40 pm

I think these days it's also done for drum editing (re-timing), and the ability to sync loops up easily.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:08 am

how do you judge a steady tempo without using a metronome? If it 'feels like they don't speed up'? It's a tool. Some stuff needs it, some stuff doesn't. Some people like them, some people don't.

The fact that a metronome or a click is a reference to 'perfect' time seems to intimidate them. It doesn't mean you have to use one, sometimes it's nice to just listen to a click right before you start playing to make sure you're starting at the right tempo...

and rubato is not a noun. and obviously, if something contains rubato sections, it should not be recorded to a click.

The question isn't really all that deep at all. It gets you the ability to splice takes if you want to (granted that can also be done without a click) add sequenced stuff (not all music is indie rock) and have tempo based delays and sounds stay consistently in time.

If you don't like them, don't play with them. But, if you need one for whatever reason, use one.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am

I completely agree

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:14 am

toaster3000 wrote:not all music is indie rock
you must be new here.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 am

toaster3000 wrote: The fact that a metronome or a click is a reference to 'perfect' time seems to intimidate them...
Doesn't intimidate me, it makes me mad. Because it's only use these days _IN ROCK/ROLL MUSIC_is to edit takes together. You could argue that having practiced more to a metronome would alleviate this stupid trend but no, seems every rock _SIGNED_MAJOR_LABEL_ band uses them anyway. AND, the music still sucks, because the editing and the fixing to perfection is everything rock music was never supposed to be in the first place. Plus, it's fucking boring to listen to.
beware bee wear

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 am

One could argue that the problem lies more in the songwriting than in the fact that the tempos are steady.

I'd like to see this rock and roll mission statement.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:38 am

dwlb wrote:One could argue that the problem lies more in the songwriting than in the fact that the tempos are steady.

I'd like to see this rock and roll mission statement.
:lol:

True enough.
beware bee wear

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:47 am

There's a fine line between "feeling the groove" and speeding up/slowing down. I like to use a metronome because I (and other drummers I know) tend to rush fills and things like that. I know it makes me a better player. And also, how many times have you recorded in a full band without a metronome, thinking "that take was GREAT!" only to find out the end of the song is 2x faster than the beginning?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 am

there's a couple songs on my bands new one that are twice as fast at the end than they were at the beginning. that's how they go. but yeah, there were a couple other tunes where we thought we had a good take and upon a next-day listen realized it got twice as fast right at the chorus. which wasn't quite the desired effect.

our drummer kinda sucks.

ahem.

as far as editing, i haven't found it to be much trouble editing non-click recorded takes together. if the band is even reasonably competent i would imagine they play things pretty much the same tempo every time...

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:18 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:if the band is even reasonably competent i would imagine they play things pretty much the same tempo every time...
Thats my point, its about preparation and discipline. OF COURSE there are times when a click is absolutely necessary and that is what the music and/or the technology behind it (ie using samples and pre recorded material during performance) dictates.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:26 am

Why does the click create so much polarization? It's like the abortion issue of the music world. Why can't each situation be judged only based on it and not every other preconception?

I have a bunch of ways to use a click. I also do a lot of things without one.

Often when a musician gets really pissed off because of a click it's usually because they have not spent the time practicing alone with one. They do not understand how to work with it to help them mature and become a better player .

Also some people just don't sound good playing to a click, so they just might be better off without it. Or maybe they need a bit of coaching on how to work along side the click, not in strict military adherence to it.

Maybe some engineers and producers need to listen to how the track is getting worse because of the click and turn the fucking thing off.

How about not using statements like "I always use a click" or "I never use a click" because a click can sometimes add and sometimes subtract (kind of like compressors, or reverb or...)

Zorgot.Crob
audio school graduate

Post by Zorgot.Crob » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 am

drumsound wrote:because a click can sometimes add and sometimes subtract (kind of like compressors, or reverb or...)
Exactly, its a tool just like any of those.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

click track

Post by vibesof20hz » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:26 am

Music was being made thousands of years before the first piece of electronic audio equipment was invented. In todays technology laden world where musicians point to a poor monitor mix after a less than ideal take many people seem to play with their gear more than they practice. The first metronome was developed in 1812 and at that time, they were only available to the affluent. There is a good two and a half thousand years of written music prior to that where the luxury of the metronome was practically non-existent.

A metronome is a tool, just like EQ is a tool. Do you EQ every single track and add delay to every single thing you do? Of course not. A metronome will effect the sound way more than processing will. I think making the decision to use or not use a metronome should be made with the same type of care.

Yeah, it is an important tool for making loops and has become an essential practice tool. I practice to one all the time. But when recording and trying to get that perfect take, you want to give the best performance.

I have never given a recital to a click track. have you?