Help w/ a midi ringtones job I have...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Help w/ a midi ringtones job I have...

Post by Quest Poetics » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Here's my question / setup:

Pro Tools v.6.9 Mac osx / Reason 3.0 (that's what I'm doing the midi stuff w/ via a midi controller )

Here's what this company wants & my confusion:

Start with playing the drums (remember- use midi channel 10)
Leads: voice number 88 (clear and loud tone).
Bass: voice number 5 works well.
Drums: always channel 10.

My confusion is regarding the channels to use. When he says ex. Drums: alway ch. 10 is he talking about the patch # ( ie: ch. 1-127) ? I know I can call them but I'd rather not look like a retard and ask you genius' first.

Peace!
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:00 pm

MIDI spec has 16 seperately addressable channels. You can have a different patch number on each one. General MIDI spec calls for drums to live on MIDI channel 10, for some reason.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:11 pm

So channel # and voice number are 2 different things? For ex. he said to use voice number 88 for leads. When he says use voice #88, is voice # 88 usually programed in keyboards to have a similar sound (ie: brass sounds etc.)
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes. You can think of MIDI channel as being like the channel of a mixing board. The voice number is alternately called the patch number, and controls what type of tone is being triggered by MIDI data sent on that MIDI channel.

Too much information on the MIDI spec:
http://www.midi.org/

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:51 pm

Sound Campaign wrote:So channel # and voice number are 2 different things? For ex. he said to use voice number 88 for leads. When he says use voice #88, is voice # 88 usually programed in keyboards to have a similar sound (ie: brass sounds etc.)
Right - this is called "General Midi." #003 is always honky tonk piano (or whatever) on all instruments using General Midi specs.

So you could have voice #88 on channel 1, or on channel 2, or on channel 3...etc...

Hey, can I get a gig like this too?

loveless
alignin' 24-trk

Post by loveless » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:03 pm

YOUR KONG wrote: So you could have voice #88 on channel 1, or on channel 2, or on channel 3...etc...
To avoid confusion, Voice #88 would be a different sound on each channel, though. I certainly don't have the GM specs memorized, but historically/typically Channel 1 is piano.... Channel 10 is drums, etc. MIDI is really not that complicated, you probably already have a grasp on how to program using midi, considering you've got a gig doing ringtones.

Also, can I get a gig doing this as well? It's my dream to be in a crowded shopping mall, walking past a dozen Suburban Gangstas and hearing MY 50 Cent ringtone as I pass.

Honestly, though, I could use the work