Drum-O-Meter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Drum-O-Meter

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Any drummers used these? I am thinking fo picking one up to biuld up some speed, but not sure that it's worth the price (about 199$) just to be able to have faster hands really. I have a Johnny Rabb video where he uses one and it seems pretty worth while (he is also a proud sponser just as a disclaimer).
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:17 am

It'd be a lot cheaper to buy a Megadeth CD or similar death-metal-speed-rock CD and just play along with it.
________
Bmw E65/E66/E67/E68 History
Last edited by philbo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:25 am

WOW!

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Or how about what we did before there even was a Drum-o-meter:

A plain vanilla metronome, and a copy of Stone's "Stick Control."

I've seen a lot of stuff sold as tools to make your hands faster...fancy metronomes, high tech sticks, practice pads...but through it all, the only things that ever really, truly got me faster were practice and determination.

Timetogrind
audio school graduate

Post by Timetogrind » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 am

The Scum wrote:Or how about what we did before there even was a Drum-o-meter:

A plain vanilla metronome, and a copy of Stone's "Stick Control."
I started doing Stones stick control, but with the feet. Its pretty hard(left foot sucks), but armed w/ a slow metronome setting and some time, my left will be more powerfull.

I see no better practice tool for a drummer but a metronome(and a practice pad-for hands & feet). I have a online one, mp3's, wavs on cd for my drumroom discman,a ultra cheezy handheld one, and a boss drum machine.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:37 am

yeah... for anything related to mechanical command of an instrument, a metronome is pretty much the only tool you need... a good methodical approach to any instrument, be it a stick control book, a book of transcriptions, intervallic excercises, etc, coupled with a metronome is pretty much all you need to work out the mechanics of the instrument.

this is all assuming you want to be in control of your instrument... it is usually nice to have the option to play anything, whether or not you choose to use that ability is up to your own judgement and taste.

... i should go practice some long tones now with the bow...

later,

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:15 pm

do whatever seems FUN and satisfying for you and don't let anyone peer-pressure or guilt-trip into some exercises that you "should" be doing. They might be 100% right and it might be great but it won't do you any real good unless you really want to do it for yourself.

If this gadget seems like it might be fun for you then go for it!

Stick control is a great resource but if you treat it like multiplication tables then you'll get bored.

I think that the key to becoming a great musician is not DETERMINATION but rather INSPIRATION.

In music there are 'artists' and there are 'craftsmen.' Some are 'both.' I went through music school and learned to be a 'craftsman.' I sucked it up and worked hard practicing everything they told me I needed to know. Now i'm trying to forget it all and remember why I loved music in the first place. Don't let it happen to you! Hahaha.

Sorry for that. I'm sleep deprived. Weird misplaced rant-ish thing over. 8)

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:34 pm

I have decided that I am going to do the 30 day trial thing to see what I think, if I dig it then I will take it back to guitar center and buy at the online price, if it's junk...
Then I will take it back to the guitar center I get it from and get my money back.
I have been working on stick control for a long time, and I would like to build up speed so that I have that tool to use if I want to use it. Or in case I decide to form that Death Metal band that I have always dreamed of being in. Cookie monster vocals and all!

Thanks all,
Rick

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net